Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Recoil Question

Old 02-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Ports really dont help tame recoil. They are there more to help strip the wad. Other than weight being a factor; action type has a lot to do with felt recoil. A gas operated gun will kick the less then the inertia types (benellis) pumps, singles, and SxS/OU. How much payload and how fast the payload is traveling effects it as well. Bottom line 3" turkey loads kick and a 3.5" in the right (well wrong depending on how you look at it will absolutely stomp you. You are getting up into the 375 H&H recoil category then.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

If recoil becomes a big issue, maybe you should consider golf !?!? LOL

Let's be real.................we're hunters, not tennis players.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Hey! Im a hunter AND a tennis player. Far from a 'sissy' sport, most who think that have never played it competitively!
Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
wrong nate, ported chokes do the same thing for shotguns that muzzle brakes do for rifles, they cut recoil and reduce muzzle jump, air resistance strips the wad.
RR

Im not going to argue with you on that but think about it. A ported choke tube is not the same thing as a ported rifle barrel. Call indian creek and just ask them or kicks or pure gold. They design theirs to strip the wad not to reduce recoil.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

.......and in fact you want the wad to keep the shot together longer when hunting turkeys.

Helps for longer/tighter shot patterns.

Mr1004 - sorry about the tennis reference, I should have used checkers players but I'm sure I will hear from them next. (Did you notice the LOL after my comment).

I know tennis players are tough.....................
Old 02-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

My wife shoots a 3.5 and does ok with it.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
they do make wad stripper chokes but ports have nothin to do with it. and wad strippers aren't really good for turkey hunting.
RR
Stripping the wad is great for turkey hunting. It allows the wad to fall away fast and clean without disruption to the shot column. That is the reason Indian Creek (among others) design them this way.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

If you are used to shooting 2 3/4" dove loads, a 3" turkey load will get your attention. If you've ever shot 2 3/4" slugs, you can handle a 3" turkey load. And if you feel the need for the 3 1/2" shells... well... up your life insurance ahead of time! LOL

I've shot many 3 1/2" shells, and they won't kill you. I'm used to a shotgun, so 3" shells don't even phase me. (after a patterning session I can tell I've been shooting though) Your first one will surprise you. Just keep the gun in the meat of your shoulder and keep your cheek down. And WEAR HEARING PROTECTION! Guns don't kick nearly as bad when you can't hear them.

rw
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
Your first one will surprise you. Just keep the gun in the meat of your shoulder and keep your cheek down. And WEAR HEARING PROTECTION! Guns don't kick nearly as bad when you can't hear them.

rw
Double up the hearing protection. You won't flinch as much in anticipation of the recoil if the firearm discharge is muffled.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:28 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

IL-cornfed is right, it all depends on the gun. I have a Winchester short turkey with a 18 in barrel and shoot 3's, and it kicks more than any 3.5 i've shot. Don't think they make one that kicks hard enough to not want to turkey hunt! LOL! For the most part you shouldnt have any trouble, it's not that bad, the girls are doing it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.