Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Who makes a good quality pot call?? Looking to gear up for season!! >

Who makes a good quality pot call?? Looking to gear up for season!!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Who makes a good quality pot call?? Looking to gear up for season!!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Who makes a good quality pot call?? Looking to gear up for season!!

I have tried may of the mass produced pot calls and to be honest I have not found one that will keep it's sound very good over the course of one season. To me it seems that the air temp and moisture has a big effect on these calls. It may just be me but I have a heck of a time getting a constent sound form day to day out of any of them.

I am looking to get a few new calls this year and would like some input.

I will say I DO NOT like the Crystal surface calls!!!!!

I am looking for some good quality calls that won't break the bank!!

I have tried mouth calls with no success, I will try again this year but after about a month I just give up!!!

Box calls don't care for them either!!

Really the only call I have ever been able to use has been pot calls but they just don't hold up!! I have noticed with the mass produced calls you might get one that sounds good then you pick up another just like it and it just don't cut it and even if I find one that works it just will not hold up.

Is this common with pot calls???? Or is it just me???

Last edited by steve25; 02-05-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

I've used the same small, compact, Lynch® Jet-Slate™ every year since 1977. Sounds the same today as when I first tried it in the store 34 years ago.

Last edited by dawei; 02-05-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Spike

Check out the Cody II slate call from Cody Turkey Calls. You should be able to pick one up for under $40.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

I have a Cody call and its a very good call. I also have a call made by firelt72 and its an awesome sounding call. PM firelt72 he can help you.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use Prairie Game Calls ~ Copper Pot and I also use Andy Kiaser Glass over Slate double sided call ~ Glass on one side ~ slate on the other in a Maple Burl pot.

Google either name - they both ahve web sites.

JW
Old 02-06-2011, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Spittlers game calls. Check them out at www.spittlersgamecalls.com Ok maybe im a little biased since i make them. lol just kidding check them out and maybe you will see something you are looking for. We also can put any photo inside a glass call if you desire. Also if you would happen to break the call surface I will replace it for you.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

David Halloran makes some really good calls and has won several awards. I have his Cacklin Crstal call and his Aluminum call and love them both. My friend has his slate and it sounds great as well (I plan on getting that one next). Currently I use a Tom Teaser Slate and really like that one too. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Wood Havens calls but after hearing one I didn't think they sounded any better than what I have and are $25 a piece more! A good recommendation would be to go to the NWTF Convention in Nashville if you could make it and you'll be able to listen and try out a ton of different calls.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a reason why many experts consider WoodHaven to be the best of the best. Besides their dominating championship run they are the standard of excellence!!! The Cherry Classsic series is incredible!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with IL-Cornfed. If I wanted to drop $80 on a production call, it would be the Woodhaven Cherry Classic crystal. OP, I'm a little curious on why your pot calls don't hold up? I've been using the same ones for years and they pretty much all sound as good as the day I got them. Do you condition your calls and strikers regularly?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure why your pot calls don't last. I do have to recondition the surface (and the tip of the strikers) frequently. You state that you don't like crystal. But what about the turkeys? If the gobblers like a surface, I love it.

My current fave is glass, but Rios are known to be partial to glass. (Screaming Thunder by Howards Custom Calls of Frankville, WI)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.