Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Some turkey questions

Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 AM
Spike

Default Some turkey questions

I know these are basic stupid questions but compared to say deer,what is a turkey's scense of smell and hearing like.I know the eyes are like a hawk.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

The see much much much better then deer
The smell much much much less then deer.
When turkey hunting there is not need to worry about them smelling you but move a finger and they are gone.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

A turkey is 20 lb's of eyeball, but no sense of smell. If they had a sense of smell, nobody would ever kill one.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

ive heard turkeys see 10x better than people. and as for since of smell, either they dont smell at all or its really bad because ive hunted turkeys in the middle of nowhere and couldnt shower for 3 days and i had them walk right beside me and never flinch
Old 02-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Spike

If your set up,turkey comes up,you move,he runs,how far away will you have to move to set up again ,i'm assuming he won't come back to the same spot,right.
Also how's they're hearing.
And for a beginner what style of call do you recommend.

Last edited by Walks on chips; 02-01-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

If you get busted the jig is up probably for that day. There is a chance that you can let him settle down, move and set up in a different spot , change calls and you might get his attention. But he will already be shook up, so call soft and don't call to much. Their hearing is incredible, just like their eyesight, not much gets by them. For calling if you are a beginner, just do some soft yelps, clucks, and maybe some purrs. Refrain from calling too much. Everyone loves to hear them gobble, but calling too much will result him to hang up and not come on in. Remember in the wild the hens go to the gobblers not the gobbler to the hen. Use decoys, give him something to look at and it will take his attention off of the caller. You can tell by the way he responds to your calls how you need to work him. Don't move , don't call too much or too loud, have patience with these birds, maybe put up some decoys and good luck.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Spike

I figure you field dress turkey like you do deer?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

there are 2 old sayings that hold many truths. 1. if a turkey could smell you'd never kill one. 2. it's a myth that turkeys can see thru trees. the just see around them.....tony
Old 02-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Spike

1-If you scare off a tom will that blow it for all turkey in the area.
2-how can you tell what tree turkey are roosting in.
3-and do you field dress(gut)turkey like you do a deer and anything special to do .
4-i take it that setting with the sun to my back is much more important than worrying about the wind direction,is that correct.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

My best advice would be to find a willing turkey veteran that would be willing to let you tag along for a hunt or two. When I started turkey hunting, I read books and magazines, watched turkey hunting videos, etc. I hunted on my own a couple years with no success. A guy at work offered to take me hunting one spring, and I learned more in that first morning out with him than all the articles and videos put together. He called a jake in for me that year, a 2 yr old the next year, and I've been doing it myself every since.

rw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.