HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Help me choose - REM 870 or Benelli Nova, Super Nova (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/339350-help-me-choose-rem-870-benelli-nova-super-nova.html)

Franco Stacy 01-30-2011 07:36 PM

Help me choose - REM 870 or Benelli Nova, Super Nova

Remington 870
Benelli Nova
Benelli Super Nova

I believe its down to these three. You say one that shoots a good pattern, but I don't think they let me go shoot one before I buy.

I also an considering a pistol grip for the Nova or a thumb hole Shurshot for the 870, any thoughts on these?

New to Turkey Hunting. Never used a pump before, always autos.

I hunt in Indiana. Like a gun that I can maneuver well, a tactical feel. I want a trouble free gun that can take being dirty and still function. I dont hang out at gun shops and don't even know where to find a gun smith, so I don't want trouble.

JW 01-30-2011 08:32 PM

Benelli hands down = Remington 870 was a very good shotgun - I own several - but the new Remingtons contain stamped metal parts and are not the quality they once had.

The Benelli's - far superior andless trouble and far more bang for your hard earned buck!

JW

Sheridan 01-30-2011 09:06 PM

+ 1
Benelli Super Nova

Franco Stacy 01-31-2011 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Franco Stacy (Post 3766385)
Remington 870
Benelli Nova
Benelli Super Nova

I believe its down to these three. You say one that shoots a good pattern, but I don't think they let me go shoot one before I buy.

I also an considering a pistol grip for the Nova or a thumb hole Shurshot for the 870, any thoughts on these?

New to Turkey Hunting. Never used a pump before, always autos.

I hunt in Indiana. Like a gun that I can maneuver well, a tactical feel. I want a trouble free gun that can take being dirty and still function. I dont hang out at gun shops and don't even know where to find a gun smith, so I don't want trouble.

Thanks for the replies

Is there a good turkey model in the NOVA that gives me a pistol grip?

What do you think about pistol grip for turkey hunting?

What are the differences between a NOVA and a SUPER NOVA and is it worth the money?

Thanks

Turkey Assassin 2011 01-31-2011 05:34 AM

I have recently bought a Benelli Nova in Max-4 camo, and I love it. I think that for turkey hunting, the Nova would be a better choice because of its rugged reliability. Don't get me wrong, I have used plenty of 870's and they are one of my favorite guns, However the Nova seems better fitted for the turkey woods. I'm not aware that Benelli makes a pistol grip version of their Benelli, but they do offer a tactical option. It really doesn't matter much if you get the Nova or the SuperNova, Both are guns that can be dragged through the mud and still fire reliably.

30-30 Savage 01-31-2011 06:22 AM

Benelli Supernova sonds good to me, doesnt really matter which you use aslong as you shoot em dead!!!!

Big Z 01-31-2011 08:12 AM

The Novas amongst the last of my choices, and the 870s amongst the first. Mainly for feel. We're already talking pump action shotguns from 2 good makers, what else do you want in "rugged reliability?" Go feel 'em up and make your choice from there is what I'd do.

Gobble! 01-31-2011 08:23 AM

Remington 870 SM max gobbler

Mr. Longbeard 01-31-2011 09:31 AM

I wonder what the price difference is between a benelli and a Remington???

Oh and were is the benelli made at;)

Mojotex 01-31-2011 10:34 AM

I have used both. A 1970's vintage Mod. 870, 12 ga. was about my favorite shot gun for years. It was stolen. A few years ago I won a nice gift certificate and used part of it it to buy a Nova "Turkey Gun". No problems. Killed plenty of Toms with it. As far as grip style, I figure that is a personal preference. I am right handed and have had to make several "left handed" shots on Toms. With a "standard" grip, that is a simple transition for me. Not sure how that would work with a pistol opr thumb-hole grip.