Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Help me choose - REM 870 or Benelli Nova, Super Nova >

Help me choose - REM 870 or Benelli Nova, Super Nova

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help me choose - REM 870 or Benelli Nova, Super Nova

Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nova will kick the a$$ off of the Remington but I own both
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

My first turkey gun as a Nova. Great gun. I would take it for sure over the 870.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

I just recently traded in my Super Nova with pistol grip for a SBEII that I could duck hunt with. It shot really well with a Jellyhead choke and the new Hevi-shot Magnum Blend.

I used an 870 for years and still own it. The biggest difference was weight. I have owned that thing about 20 years. It is by far one of the most rugged guns you could ever own.

If it's a dedicated turkey gun you are looking for I would get the 'Nelli with the pistol grip.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the nova and am very happy with it. That said, the 870 is also a great choice.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
Nova will kick the a$$ off of the Remington but I own both
Your opinion Adrian. In that price range, you can't beat the 870. For sure the Benelli is a great gun, but we're talking about the Nova. Not saying it's a bad gun, but to say it will kick the 870's a$$ is a little overboard. As someone said, you can put the 870 trough anything and it will not let you down. I have shot both and the 870 kicks the a$$ off of the Novas. Of course this is my opinion. BTW, I own two 870's. My main turkey slayer is the 870 SPS-T thumbhole 12 ga.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Spike

I like Benellis, but an 870 is a damn sure good shotgun too.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Spike

Default 870 vs. Nova

I own several 870's along with a Nova, I love them both. The 870's time tested and has a great reputation for excellence, the Nova is relatively new compared to the 870 but definitely excels in poor weather conditions. The Italians are definitely doing something right with their guns because the Nova is absolutely amazing. The Nova is quite a bit thicker in the receiver and stock, but is light and swings great. The 870's light, tough, and reliable. Both are amazing turkey guns, and are both around the same price. Depending on which model of 870 your looking at they can be upwards of $500. I am not aware that the Nova is available with a pistol grip, which adds to the long list of accessories not available to equip this gun with. My advice would be to go to your local gun dealer and handle both guns, see which one fits and swings the best for you.