Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Teach me how to hunt turkeys? >

Teach me how to hunt turkeys?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Teach me how to hunt turkeys?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Spike

Talking Teach me how to hunt turkeys?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and have been reading alot here. I got a pretty good idea on what I need to do when I go spring turkey hunting with stick and string. Just wondering if I am missing something.
I got the blind, looking at decoys and I have a buddy that knows how to call. And I have access to a good area with birds.
But my experiance with turkeys, while deer hunting is they just walk right up to you, it does not seem that tough
Yea I know there is more to it that. LOL
I have a feeling that there are some habits and patterns that I should know that will increase my chances.
I hunting in NE Nebraska March/April is there any advice for a novice you might have?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Well if using a blind - pattern your turkeys. Know where THEY (The Turkey) wants to be and then you be there before them.

Pretty simple really but at times a long wait is in order!

Blind placed like that with your back to the sun - and a decoy or two and you will be in business. Decoys don't need to be placed far away either. I place mine 5 to 7 paces in front of me and I do NOT brush in my blind at all and never will. I do NOT have the back open so my movement which may be a shadow is seen. The back of all my blinds is dark - completely blackened and I only leave the front slit open just enough for me to shoot.

The way I look at it ~ If I can't call and get that turkey in front to make the shot ~ well the turkey wins and I let it walk!
Yes I have had a few walk!

Lastly read the Tips section above. Many calling techniques written by some very good trukey hunters on this forum.

JW

PS ~ want to see what looking out a blind should be like and how dark it is inside watch this video!
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turk...ith-decoy.html

That will give you an idea and I bet that decoy is no more than 10 yards from the blind. I like mine a bit closer.

and I forgot to add - I sit as far back from the opening as I can - I do NOT wear a face mask - not needed IMO - but I do wear dark clothing and do keep my movements slow and methodical.

Last edited by JW; 01-28-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Spike

Thanks JW, I have until 3/25 to become an expert LOL and I will be reading and watching all I can until then. That's just the way I am, I dive in head first and become obsessed with finding all info I can. Besides I am getting cabin fever!!!
Ron
Old 01-29-2011, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

You will want to scout before the season and find their roosts, get high and do some locater calls at dust or dark, mark their location then when it is light go in and locate the trees they roost in, be careful not to go in to early and spook any birds.
Once you locate where they are roosting go in early not to close and locate their travel routs where they hang out eating, fighting strutting etc. Now you know where to hunt them!....... Roost area, travel routs and strut/feeding area. Now the most useful call to know is the Yelp then cutting I have have killed many a bird with this combo.
Well this is the basics you still have a lot to learn, calling etc. and most you will learn in the woods and your teacher.........Tom
Good luck, be safe and most of all be ETHICAL !
Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Spike

This site is very informative:

http://www.nwtf.org/for_hunters/hunting_tactics.html
Old 01-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you'll be just fine in Nabraska!!! I hear there are birds of plenty in the Santee area
Old 01-29-2011, 03:32 PM
j76
Typical Buck

scout, scout, and when yer done......go scouting!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice guys, and Longbeard yes there are alot of birds here in NE Nebraska. I have never hunted the Santee Reservation before but the inlaws farm is just west of there about 10 miles. Actually where I live in Bloomfield the reservation's southern edge is only 2 miles behind my house. I picked up a prettyboy decoys today and I got a couple of calls today also.
Can't wait to get out and do some scouting, which sould be tomorrow we are heading to the family farm for a visit.
Thanks again
Ron
Old 01-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Patience is the most important part of turkey hunting. I have bagged birds my first two years of turkey hunting, this will be my third and I believe late morning till noon is a great time to hunt, both my birds where shot between ten and noon. The toms are out looking again and like the above post said yelping and hard cutting brought both my gobblers in. Good luck Scoot
Old 01-30-2011, 03:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think they have given you some good advice on this. I got some great advice from JW last year. But the turkeys bred early up here and none came out for me. I took a weeks vacation this year to give it a try. I did manage to follow JW's advice and got a large hen this past fall. I can't wait until spring and try it again. I have had them come out the year before while practicing in a no hunting area using a Quakerboy box caller. Up here turkey hunting ends at 12 noon so it is only morning hunting for me. It does not start until May and hopefully the weather does not get so warm this April..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.