Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting? >

What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 AM
Dominant Buck

To be a good Turkey hunter is to master your calls first and then work on patterning with different chokes and shot, with any shotgun.....There is a great prestige and a feeling of accomplishment when you can kill a bird at real close ranges than to brag how far you killed it at.........

True turkey hunters spend many hours in solitude with the calls of their choice to be a master of the call (mine is the box)....Then working on patterning with chokes and shot in the off season..Many spend hours in the off season in the field calling in turkeys testing their calling skills...

Like some have mentioned on here, any shotgun that is tuned right is a turkey gun, but first is your calling skills!!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
LOL... Well your prob right... BUT... Some people might not kill gobblers every spring and after 2 or 3 seasons of chacing them and one comes in and hangs up out there at that 40-45 yard mark, that guy might want a gun that is going to get the job done!!! I know I would...

Some guys say you can get it done with a 410. I know were they hunt...

Yes you can get it done with a 410! Deer or Turkey, a 410 will drop them both as long as your shots are kept within the effective range of the gun you are using.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=wvOHIOfan;3759234]Mossberg 835, .690 Primos Jellyhead choke, Nitro 4x5x7 Hevi shot.

300+ pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

Maybe I need to scrap that piece of junk..... lol[/quote

LOL I didnt know you were shooting #7 Hevi shot... Ill bet you can knock em dead out to 60 yards with that set up
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

I've taken all two of my birds with a Mossberg 535 and the full choke that came with it. Both of them dropped in their tracks, but unless you may have to hunt some wide-open terrain or you want your turkey gun to double as a goose gun, I wouldn't worry about getting an ultimag.

I will say that two advantages that Mossberg has over Remington are the location of the safety and sights. If you're used to the trigger guard safety of your current set-up then it isn't a big deal, but having the front and rear sights on the barrel make headshots a snap!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

[quote=Mr. Longbeard;3761121]
Originally Posted by wvOHIOfan
Mossberg 835, .690 Primos Jellyhead choke, Nitro 4x5x7 Hevi shot.

300+ pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

Maybe I need to scrap that piece of junk..... lol[/quote

LOL I didnt know you were shooting #7 Hevi shot... Ill bet you can knock em dead out to 60 yards with that set up

People will say I'm a liar but I can kill them at 60 yards easily. The patterns do not lie. I'd go shoot my gun at 60 and post pics of the pattern but folks would just say it was from 40. lol