HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Turkeys and crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/337966-turkeys-crossbows.html)

Walks on chips 01-09-2011 06:44 AM

Turkeys and crossbows

Can you turkey hunt with a crossbow and is there and thing different i need to know for crossbow hunting,such as shot placement.I've never turkey hunted but am planing to give it a try this year and know gun hunters go for the head.And can someone recommend a good instructional video i can get from bass pro or cabelas to learn turkey hunting.

Arrowmaster 01-09-2011 11:15 AM

Welcome to the forums. You will need to check your state laws for hunting with a crossbow during turkey season.

RockyMtnGobblers 01-10-2011 08:24 AM

Yep your DOW can answer that question with a quick call but you still need to read the regulations for your state for open areas, bag limit and much much more.

Also on hunting videos I recommend "so you want to be a turkey hunter" by H.S. and "Eye on the wild turkey" by Ray Eye only problem the first is from the early nineties and the second from the late eighties I think, so may be hard to find.

I have probably 30 turkey hunting videos and most just show a few min. before the kill. You want to look for videos that say they will show you strategies and tips.

Better than all the videos I have is all the folks on this site, we wont give maps out to our fav. hunting ground but you can find just about all the info you need to successfully hunt the wild turkey right here, the rest you'll learn in the field.
Check out the turkey hunting tips section here.
Good luck!

jacob321 01-10-2011 11:08 AM

Yes it is possible to turkey hunt with a crossbow. You would want to check the local laws and make sure that you can use the crossbow and not just a rifle to hunt

Walks on chips 01-11-2011 04:19 AM

I should have asked that different.I know the state laws,i crossbow hunt for deer.I should have asked should i hunt turkey with a crossbow .And yes,i'm looking for good instructional videos and have been reading here and found a lot i didn't know.

JW 01-11-2011 06:27 AM

If legal - I don't see why not. If you enjoy it go for it!

Shot placement can be done in 3 ways.
1. Make it extremely difficult and shoot only for the head neck region. There are specialized broadheads for archers but for x=bows I do not know. But if you contact a few broadhead manufacturers they ought to be able to help you or your local archery shop.
2. Body shots can also be taken. A side shot is good. Shot placement should be where the wing attaches the to body. See the picture - follow the feather seem down the body and center on the body using the leg in this picture to help you center.

or

3. If the bird is in Strut - shoot the Butt

Note: I tried to add a red mark as an aimig point - kinda hard to see.

JW

jaktmannen98 01-12-2011 05:50 AM

that was a nice hit

Mr. Longbeard 01-17-2011 06:57 AM

Call me crazy... But do you own a shotgun??? lol

Walks on chips 01-17-2011 12:25 PM

Yes i do,but the property i'm hunting on,the wife doesn't like hunting so it's the crossbow,no gun shooting.

Iowabucks44 01-19-2011 08:29 PM

I was going to suggest trying it with a shotgun too. Much easier. At least until your comfortable hunting turkeys.