HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   The best method for getting gobblers in (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/331499-best-method-getting-gobblers.html)

turkman1 10-08-2010 08:45 PM

The best method for getting gobblers in

One of the set ups I like best for turkey decoys is to put a jake looking towards the woods in an open field while I'm calling. That helps make the Tom come in.

My second best set up is when a Tom and Hens are together, use a kee kee call because hens will go instinctively to the sound of a poult. This method works year round.

WHAT ARE YOUR BEST METHODS?

huntnma 10-09-2010 02:31 AM

I locate the gobbler and go from there...no set method to my madness, lol.

Sheridan 10-09-2010 09:04 PM

Pretty boy and pretty girl with a real fanned tail and real fanned wings in/on the pretty boy.

It should be illegal ! LOL

JW 10-10-2010 05:36 AM

As Ma said ~ do your homework and be where that Tom wants to be. Decoy or not!

JW

turkman1 10-10-2010 06:49 AM

When I travel to different states such as Missouri, Florida, Texas, Nebrasks, S. Dakota, etc. I like to try different methods. Sometimes I use decoys and sometimes, I don't. Sometimes I like to use a string method on the hen. Movement works good, too.

gun870guy 10-10-2010 11:27 AM

I don't use deeks, I have 2 calls and a 12 gauge... I don't move around alot and I work to piss off a hen... That's what brings gobblers in. I've had the best success when I work the hens than I ever have workin gobblers...

turkman1 10-10-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by gun870guy (Post 3699461)
I don't use deeks, I have 2 calls and a 12 gauge... I don't move around alot and I work to piss off a hen... That's what brings gobblers in. I've had the best success when I work the hens than I ever have workin gobblers...

I am curious....what sound(s) do you use to make the hens mad?

gun870guy 10-12-2010 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by turkman1 (Post 3699610)
I am curious....what sound(s) do you use to make the hens mad?

I yelp.

Here's a good example of what I've been preachin for a while.
Here in Kansas, we have so many turkeys that there is literally no time during the season that the birds are not with Hens. You will have birds hit the ground and make their way to you and the hens will drag them away,
In the old days, huntin the tom was the way to go... you could locate one.. call, setup and kill a bird. Nowadays, its not really the case.
Every flock has a main hen, and she'll have toms with her. She'll answer your calls and cut you off if shes around, cause shes dominate... If I even hear a hen... I cut her off... I'll make 2-3 hens mad and go at it at one time... Hens will come, most of the time they'll come and bust you, but if you can keep the drop on them you'll kill whatever else she drags in with her...

This is also good for times when the birds are henned up and hang when coming to your calls... forget him and move all the birds to where you want them for an open shot.. reposition and setup and try and make a hen mad.

One thing I always tell folks when a bird hangs and stops coming in.. he's got a hen, and shes gonna give him some, if he hangs out... what would you do?

Buncha hormonal paranoid jealous birds... you play them with that in mind and you'll kill them. No special cuts and purrs or any of that crap is required... just cut and yelp over the top of them during their call.

turkman1 10-12-2010 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by gun870guy (Post 3701071)
I yelp.

Here's a good example of what I've been preachin for a while.
Here in Kansas, we have so many turkeys that there is literally no time during the season that the birds are not with Hens. You will have birds hit the ground and make their way to you and the hens will drag them away,
In the old days, huntin the tom was the way to go... you could locate one.. call, setup and kill a bird. Nowadays, its not really the case.
Every flock has a main hen, and she'll have toms with her. She'll answer your calls and cut you off if shes around, cause shes dominate... If I even hear a hen... I cut her off... I'll make 2-3 hens mad and go at it at one time... Hens will come, most of the time they'll come and bust you, but if you can keep the drop on them you'll kill whatever else she drags in with her...

This is also good for times when the birds are henned up and hang when coming to your calls... forget him and move all the birds to where you want them for an open shot.. reposition and setup and try and make a hen mad.

One thing I always tell folks when a bird hangs and stops coming in.. he's got a hen, and shes gonna give him some, if he hangs out... what would you do?

Buncha hormonal paranoid jealous birds... you play them with that in mind and you'll kill them. No special cuts and purrs or any of that crap is required... just cut and yelp over the top of them during their call.

I totally agree with what you said about Kansas! I'm from Illinois, but I go to Nebraska about 4 - 5 times a year - Spring and Fall. In Nebraska while hunting Merriams, there are a lot of birds also and I start yelping like I am crazy and I will bring in 30 - 40 birds at a time. But, when you're in Florida, you have to yelp softly because the Osceola are skiddish birds. The Rio Grande, I found out when I go to Texas are a lot like the Easterns. You just yelp 5 or 6 times and purr.

syrupman 10-15-2010 01:16 PM

amazon.com used to have decoys for like 4 dollars a pop and they were foam...use them work just as well and what you do is if you cant get a gobbler to come in what you do is sneak back 100 yards gobble and hurry back to your spot...will keep you from shooting jakes and gets the other bird jealous