Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey loads?

Old 09-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey loads?

Could you folks suggest a couple of 12 gauge factory loads for me to pattern? Thanks...
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GaryO
Could you folks suggest a couple of 12 gauge factory loads for me to pattern? Thanks...
Hi Gary,
I will try to be as brief as I can on this subject.
I presently own two 12 gauge shotguns.
A Browning Gold Hunter 3 1/2 inch magnum semi auto and a Remington Super Mag - which was one of the first Super Mags that Remington produced..

I also have a box full of choke tubes - which the Invector Plus and the Remington both has the same thread, but the Remington tube is shorter then the Browning / Winchester choke tube.

Most choke tubes start out at a minimum size and then gets larger by as little as .003 of a inch until you get to the inside diameter of a full choke. What all this means is that you should buy your tubes by preference and not by manufacturer - because in theory they all do the same job. Just that you want to find the one that works best for the round that you wish to hunt with.

What I am trying to tell you is that not all guns are the same and not all choke tubes are the same. By just changing one component - you change the whole way that the shell will react to the gun and the choke tube.

So to try to answer your question without much speculation or opinions, the only way to answer your question is to ask for more information.

In the case of my own opinions - as with the two 12 gauge turkey shotguns that I own, a Remington Turkey Super Full choke tube and a 3 inch nitro mag Remington shell patterns good in the Remington.

The 3 1/2 inch shells tends to produce a stringy pattern that does not pattern well in either of my guns with most of the manufactured shells. I have tried Federals, Remington's and most of the other manufactures offerings.

Now that does not mean that they will not shoot well for you or that your gun is the same as mine or that you should limit yourself to any one choke tube or any one choke tube manufacturer.

I have some Undertaker Choke Tubes that works just as well as the Remington or any of the other manufacturers choke tubes.
The only difference between one and the other is that some has a knurled nut at the top which does not require a wrench to put in and take out. Those are my favorites.

http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable...&categoryID=33

http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable...&categoryID=33

The ones that requires you to carry a tube wrench is a PITA in my opinion.

http://www.remington.com/products/ac...oke-tubes.aspx
Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/hunting/chokeinfo.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/h...ea_NWTF_chokes
Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

how much money do you have to throw around?
Old 10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, search this forum for similar posts...you'll find a ton of good advice. Main point-check your pattern. You'd be surprised at the holes that result from some gun, shell and choke combinations. What that here's some suggestions...

Lead shot:
-Winchester Supreme 3" no. 4, 5 or 6 shot
-Federal Premium Mag-Shok 3" no. 4 or 6

Non-toxic($$$)
-Hevi-shot 3" no. 4 (a strong fave)
-Remington Wingmaster HD 3" no. 6 (devastating)

There are other turkey ammo mfgrs out there; Kent & Nitro are two that come to mind, but I've never shot them.

If you want to go with a 3.5" shell and your gun will take them, go ahead. But...a 3" shell will do the job with enough authority, provided the bird's in range.

When I first got the fever, the only turkey loads I could find were 2.75" Win Supremes...they worked. I've had great sucess with Hevi-shot and Rem W.M. HD
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your not interested in trying the more expensive hevi shots try some of the Win HV shells in different combinations. One thing you will want to take into consideration when trying to find the best pattern for you shotgun is maintained down range kinetic energy. You can go to the smaller diameter shot and increase the number of pellets in a pattern but the smaller shot will not produce the down range kinetic energy that the bigger shot will so finding that in between is what your looking for. The heaviest shot with a good pattern is ideal. In my Remington 870 super mag 12 gauge after a lot of testing of different shells and chokes I found that my gun patterned the best with Win HV 3.5", 2 oz, 5 shot through a .665 Maxx Maxx choke. Not sure if this choke is even still available (was offered by the Drury Brothers) but out of all the chokes I tried the Madd Maxx patterned the best nd that particular shell also patterned best out of my gun. This setup patterns so well out of my gun that I have never even tried the hevi shots. Just wasn't no need to. It is a trial and error situation for each individual gun and if you want the best pattern out of your shotgun that you can get there is no way around it. What is nice if you have some buddy's with the same gun that you can try each other's different chokes so you don't have to buy several yourself. I believe the Madd Maxx was right $70 so they're not cheap.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I finally went to the range today and took two 3” loads with me. Remember my set up: 870 21” Remchoke X-Full choke. Ammo was Win Supreme HV Turkey Loads, 1.75 oz. 5 shot ($16.49). AND Rem Nitro Turkey 1 7/8oz. 5 shot ($6.99). Results at 40 yards? Winchester scored 30 hits inside that 10” circle with 5 hits in the brain/cervical area. Remington scored 60 hits in that 10” circle with 9 brain/cervical area hits. All in all kind of disappointing. Maybe I should move on to Hevi 13 and JellyHead chokes. What say you?
Old 10-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Spike

My favorite out of both of my turkey guns is Winchester Xtended Range. I've had excellent results on the patterning board and on gobbler heads with 3" #6s and 3 1/2" #5s and #6s.

Tyler
Old 10-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 20 gauge has proved Hevi 13 #6 Time after time, after time after time, after time, after time.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot an 870. I'm going with a Rhino choke tube next spring. I've used Charles Daly, Untertaker and Remington Turkey XXFull. Best pattern I got was the Remington Turkey choke w/ Nitro loads. I love using the Nitro or Winchester Supreme - lots of guys like the Hevishot tho. Personally, I haven't tried it yet - maybe this spring though!

Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.