Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey with a rifle?

Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Spike

Its now legal here in NC so I use my shotgun or one of my bows, but I hunt in Texas each year also, and I've gotten them with shotgun,,and also a few with my 280 (one running at 125 yards) and another with 17HMR for all these were shot where the neck meets the body,not messing up the breast. The 17 was about 150 yards. Main thing is to practice shooting whatever you'll use and know your gun or bow.

Good luck hunting this year everyone and be safe
Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, I have learned a lot through this thread. Two things stand out:

1- Turkey hunters are egotistical, arrogant jerks and I'd rather not be a part of their "clique."

2- Turkey hunters can't read, as evidenced by the fact that 99% of the people who responded FAILED to read the part where I've been re-located by the Army to a different state and do not have access to any gun except my deer rifle (which I brought with me). I can't use any of my shotguns, nor can I have them sent here because I'm not a resident.

Have fun in your tiny little lonely world, and when you turn around and realize that you've driven away the next generation of turkey hunters, don't blame me.

Last edited by mac266; 10-01-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Mac,

Which horse did you ride in on ! LOL !!!

Any of these look familar;

Be safe
my bad i didnt read that part
MAC - if you were close to Pennsylvania - you could come hunting with me.
Thanks for serving our country...
In your defence - CAN YOU SEE THE SOUTH OF FRANCE UP THERE ON YOUR HIGH HORSE.
I guess I didn't read the whole conversation. Mac266 - thank you for serving our country.
I hope you stay safe.
Enjoy your hunt . . .
BTW, thanks for your service!!
Anyway be safe out there and good luck
Good luck hunting this year everyone and be safe

Yep !?!? I see
"1- Turkey hunters are egotistical, arrogant jerks and I'd rather not be a part of their "clique."
Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

I've never takein a turkey with a shotgun I've tried but never had a good shot when I was younger I killed one with a 22 magnum and a 270. The 270 works good just hit em in the lower neck and you'll do good. Don't pay attention to the arogance of some I grew up hunting with people like that me being one of the younger hunters in the family always saying stuff to me about how I should hunt or what I do wrong I just shove it away and go on. I opoligise to you for our fellow hunters. In the 270 i'd use more of a bonded bullet so it dosnt expand as much and ruin so much meat. Thanks for your service and besafe and shoot straight
Old 10-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Turkey hunting with a 50 cal is pretty sweet.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shawnthomson
Where's the challenge? I have to tell ya to have the time of your life and to really enjoy the hunt, use a shotgun. You are missing the hunt if you use a rifle, kinda like use artillary for deer. You have accomplished something getting that bird within 40 yards and looked him/her in the eyes. This is just my opinion but i really think you would have a better time with a shotgun and even better time with a bow. Anyway be safe out there and good luck

shawn Thomson
Pro staff
Bag Limit Custom Calls
Shawn - there is people on this forum that shoots 1700 yards at deer.
I fail to see how shooting a turkey 50 - 100 yards away with a .22 Winchester magnum is going to be as bad as all that.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

It's illegal in the state of KY.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot long beards only, in the head at 15 yards, with 3 1/2" magnum #4's out of a camo'ed Beretta Extrema (doubles as my waterfowl gun) with a extra full extended turkey choke.

BUT............. by all means; do your thing !!!

If you're having fun (and it's legal), that's all that matters.

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-04-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by obsessed bowhunter
It's illegal in the state of KY.
Wow, I'll keep that in mind if I ever hunt in Kentucky, but since I'm hunting in Virginia -- where it IS LEGAL -- and that has absolutely nothing to do with my question, wtf did you post it?!?!?!?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

I would think that a rifle for turkey is a little overkill. There is a petition this year to outlaw rifles during turkey season here in FL. Why not use a bow or shotgun and be way more effective???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.