Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Heavy cover and tight chokes >

Heavy cover and tight chokes

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Heavy cover and tight chokes

Old 07-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Heavy cover and tight chokes

When hunting heavy cover or late season or maybe Florida do any of you hang up your ultra tight shooting gun for a more moderate shot pattern? I sometimes get out my old model 12 once the woods here really green up. It shoots great to 30 yards where my 835 with the Nitro' s is really tight in close.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:37 PM

Default RE: Heavy cover and tight chokes

i just wait for a clear shot, personaly I need to identify an adult from a jake anyway, even though we dont green up till the middle of may anyway
Old 07-06-2003, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dennis, I am a little different maybe from others, I want as tight shooting gun as possible in tight quarters, or when it is thick cover. A good tight pattern will penitrate folage easyer and place the shot pattern where it counts. Just my opinion...BT
Old 07-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

HK,I shoot the same choke out of the same gun all season!Like Norsemen i' ll wait for a clear shot if its to thick or if I' m not comfortable with the shot,but with that said all I need is a head and recoginition that its a gobbler with a visible beard and its history after that!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a shotgun set-up for turkey hunting and keep the same choke tube installed as well. My gun is scoped, and after patterning that thing and getting to know the many distances that it works at, I don' t want to chance it by installing another choke tube only to find that the pattern might be off.
Like Adrian and Bob, I want to stick with a super tight pattern at close range as well, you just have to wait for the right shot. When it comes time to " thread the needle" so to speak, it' s nice knowing that your gun can get the job done.
But I can see where your comming from with your thoughts on this, and if that' s what you feel better at doing, then by all means I would go that route. Feeling comfortable with your equipment is what' s it' s all about.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys..... I think you' ve changed my thoughts on this subject and with good reason.