Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Too old

Old 08-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Unhappy Too old

Guy's, or girls. Enjoy the spring season as long as you can. Because it's not your legs that prevent you from hunting this game. It's your hearing. Once your hearing deteriorates, the gobble becomes fainter and harder to hear. But that's not the worst of it. The worst of it is, You can no longer tell the direction from whence the gobble is. Some say, hearing aids, but once the small hairs inside the ears that vibrate, are gone, it's gone. I can truthfully say that I enjoyed the Spring hunt more than any other hunt. That goofy sounding gobble really made my heart go pitter patter.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

well buddy thats no reason to quit get a kid and take him or her with you you teach them they hear for you,,good swap i would say
Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Believe it or not...an older friend of mine told me that he knew a guy who was near deaf so the guy toted a cat along with him to the woods and placed it on his lap. Whichever way the cat looked the old guy looked. Probably not work for turkeys though.

Jim
Old 08-06-2010, 03:22 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Teedee I am there - deaf in one ear and directionally dysfunctionaly challenged!

But that ain't gonna stop me from hunting - call them up close and you can still feel the drummin'~ But they gotta be close!

JW
Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
well buddy thats no reason to quit get a kid and take him or her with you you teach them they hear for you,,good swap i would say
How can you beat this deal. You teach a kid to hunt and they be your ears for you. Sounds like problem solved to me.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the cheery post. I plan on turkey hunting until the big guy says it's over, deaf or not.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

I admit, not being able to HEAR that gobble would be disappointing for any of us - no doubt about it - but don't let that discourage you from hunting turkeys teddee! I love the idea of taking a kid hunting with you - as SJ said! Something tells me the smile on that kid's face will have the same affect on you as that spring time gobble did --- pitter patter!!!

Kim
Old 08-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

I hear ya....Oops..sorry. At 52(almost-Sept), i have trouble getting direction now, so im pretty sure it's only gonna get worse over the years!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Hearing them Gobble is a great thrill but seeing them strut get my heart rate up as well. I hope you can continue hunting them by geting a hunting buddy to call for you and be your ears. May the gift of sight be sharper due to the hearing loss and still alow you to give it a try. God Bless and help you find a solution.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default T5

Same problem here, most of my hearing is gone. Trying to get my grandsons' interested. One is 10 and the other is 7, the 7 year old is showing the most interest.

Now for JW!, the only reason he is losing his hearing is from walking into boards on a shelter and trees falling on him.

dog1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.