Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting? >

What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

My first question is what shotguns have you shot already? How did they feel? Did they fit your shoulder ok?
What else are you interested in hunting besides turkeys?
There are alot of good shotguns out there that will serve your purpose without breaking the bank if that's what your looking for. My favorite for the money is the Remington 870 Magnum. It will shoot in any kind of weather. It will shoot clean or dirty. If you're looking for a good starter gun, I vote for this one. Every year I say I'm going to take one of my Beretta's out in the field, but I still stay with the 870. It's kinda like a good hammer that fits your hand if you know what I mean. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I own a Mossberg 835 and a Remington 870 Super Magnum both in camo. I would choose the 870 Super Magnum over the 835 any day of the week. I also have an 870 magnum that I would choose over the 835. The 835 is a great gun, but it is tough on the shoulder and cheek with 3 1/2 loads. The 870 super magnum is a lot more user friendly if you plan on shooting 3 1/2 loads. My son shoots 3 inch loads out the 870 super magnum with no issues and he is only 11. He took his first bird with it this past spring season. Next year, I will be shooting all 3 inch loads. I just don't see the need for the 3 1/2 loads.

If I could get close to what I gave for the 835 I would sell it, but since there are about a million of them on the used market at any given time I may as well just keep it.

Most likely any of the upland guns you have will be fine for turkey hunting as long as you buy a turkey choke and pattern it before season. I would recommend a 12ga if you have different ones to choose from.

Last edited by MO Archer; 07-12-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have and like the Benelli Nova. If I had to do it all over again I might end up with a Remington 870.....
Old 08-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

I like my 1187, but as for as turkey, my 870 is far more my choice!