Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Rhino Choke Tubes

Old 07-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rhino Choke Tubes

Hey Guys

I am thinking about getting this choke tube - does anyone else use it? What do you think? It's a pretty penny ($$$) so I wanted your guys' opinion's... Thanks!

Kim
Old 07-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine shoots one in his SBEII. He also shoots Nitro 4x5x7's out of it and it has a very niice pattern. Definately a 60 yard gun. I've never heard anything bad about them either however there are a lot of good chokes out there which cost a bit less. Indian Creek, Primos, Pure Gold, just to name a few. I also want to pont out that it's not just the choke which contributes to a good pattern. It's a combination between the barrel, choke, and loads. Do some research before you fork out $125 on a choke. You might not get good patterns with the loads you are currently using in a Rhino and may have to switch loads. What gun do you shoot? I'm sure a lot of other guys on here will chime in and help steer you in the right direction.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Combine that choke with the custom Nitro loads recommended for your gun by the Nitro Co. and you will probably have as fine a combo as is possible.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Spike

Their most definetly good. My friend has one its pretty badd. I personaly use undertakers. Low price with pretty good results
Old 07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys...

Matchbook - I shoot a Rem 870 Express (20 ga) although I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go to 12 ga next season. I missed a BIG one that I probably could have nailed at 60 yds, unfortunately I only trust my 20 ga out to 40 yds...

KsTurkeyDeer - I had an undertaker choke too, but ended up getting a better pattern with the Remington Turkey Super Full Choke Tube... Undertaker is good though.

I also have a Charles Daly that a buddy of mine gave me - the Remington choke tube out-performed that one too.

Anyone else have comments --- chime in!!!

Kim
Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Todd - I just checked out NAC's website. Very interesting!!! (NAC - Nitro Ammunition Company, not to be confused w/ Remington's Nitro Turkey Shot). I love it! VERY COOL - thanks for pointing me in that direction!

Kim
Old 07-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

I know nothing about that tube, but for the money you could buy an Indian Creek and a couple boxes of Hevi-13 to pattern in it. That's some mean stuff!

rw
Old 07-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rhino chokes have fell way behind in the last couple years. I've tested them in the 20 gauge and it was a waist. The best for your gun that I have tested is the 555 Pure Gold or the 555 Indian Creek. Another thing is if your plans are to shoot lead shot or copper then the sizing of the choke will differ more then the brand. .550 is a better constriction for lead but just so you know as well as others that are not up dated on these sort of things, Lead shot will NOT out pattern Heavy shot like Hevi 13...

Last edited by Adrian J Hare; 07-18-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
Rhino chokes have fell way behind in the last couple years. I've tested them in the 20 gauge and it was a waist. The best for your gun that I have tested is the 555 Pure Gold or the 555 Indian Creek. Another thing is if your plans are to shoot lead shot or copper then the sizing of the choke will differ more then the brand. .550 is a better constriction for lead but just so you know as well as others that are not up dated on these sort of things, Lead shot will NOT out pattern Heavy shot like Hevi 13...
Yep, What he said.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rhino chokes have fell way behind in the last couple years. I've tested them in the 20 gauge and it was a waist. The best for your gun that I have tested is the 555 Pure Gold or the 555 Indian Creek.
Funny you should mention those chokes because I own all 3. I keep hearing from some people that Rhino chokes are being surpassed now but the one I have has consistently outperformed the Pure Gold and the Indian Creek with every type of ammo in 3 different guns. The Indian Creek BDS choke that I have is a fine choke tube no doubt about it. Never hear me say different. It will consistently put about 180 pellets inside a 10 inch circle at 40 yards from my 870 with the Nitro duplex loads. But the Rhino consistently puts about 230 or more with the same ammo from the same gun.

The Pure Gold seems to throw a good even pattern that would be fine for hunting but it really isn't even in the same league as the Rhino or Indian Creek with my guns.

Some of the backlash against Rhino chokes that you see online these days has to do with some people not liking the guy who runs the company. I have heard some negative stories about him too but have no idea if they are true. Don't care either. I don't want to play golf with the guy I just want use a choke his company makes. And from what I can tell they are still very good chokes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.