HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Gonna try a new choke, ammo, or choke/ammo combination? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/32515-gonna-try-new-choke-ammo-choke-ammo-combination.html)

KitsapCaller 07-01-2003 08:11 AM

Gonna try a new choke, ammo, or choke/ammo combination?

Any of you going to try out new choke, ammo, or ammo/choke combination to acheive better patterns? Turkey hunters are always trying to achieve tighter patterns so I thought I would ask. As for me, I might either try some Remington Magnum turkey loads in a 3.5" #6 or experiment with some Hevi-shot. How ' bout you?

Adrian J Hare 07-01-2003 06:21 PM

RE: Gonna try a new choke, ammo, or choke/ammo combination?

I' ve played so much with different combos and have settled with the Precision choke and Winchester HV#5 it will out pattern the Hevi-shot. I got a whole box of Rem Hevi-shot , I would send ya if it didn' t have to cross the border...BT

loner 07-01-2003 07:20 PM

you can email me for my address and i will be very happy to take the hevishot off your hands.i have shot fed,win and rem for years with great success but the hevishot will pattern in my exp super mag like nothing else!

JoeA 07-01-2003 08:46 PM

I' m planning on playing with diff. ammo & shot sizes. I' ll always wonder about some turks I passed on back in Jan.

mauser06 07-01-2003 09:38 PM

nope.......my pattern was about all the tighter i would want it.....and it took my bird perfectly this year and my aim was a tad off..he just caught the edge of hte pattern and he hit the ground like any other turkey....dont try to fix it if it aint broke.....you just might break it!

maytom 07-02-2003 09:59 AM

I' m all set. After patterning many loads/chokes over the years, the Rhino choke and Nitro hevishot combo is by far the best I have seen out of my gun.;)

loner 07-02-2003 11:02 AM

maytom- thanks to you,my choice was made with hevishot also!

maytom 07-02-2003 11:15 AM

Loner, here is a pic of my actual pattern taken at 35 yards using Nitro 3" H378 load of #4X5X7 hevishot out of a Rhino .660 choke tube. That' s a 10" circle in that photo with 316 pellest inside!! That' s what sold me!!;)

MOTurkeyTamer 07-02-2003 09:13 PM

I' m going to stick to what has worked good for me the last few seasons and that is a Kick' s Gobblin' Thunder choke in .665 and 3" Winchester HV #5' s.