Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NY Turkey

Old 05-22-2010, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

I've been chasing a big longbeard for a week now...He's got 4 hens...will gobble, will strut, but will not leave them. He flies down and waits for them to join him....Driving me insane! Only way I can think of getting him is by luck or spot and stalk or something.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Birdhunter, my neighbor up the road said the same thing as you did. I talk to him yesterday and he said they are all hened up and try going out at 9 or 10 after the hens go to nest. I have gone out later, like 8 or so. I guess thats not late enough. He hunts a different area than me. I'm hoping for some rain, they are always out in the rain. I'm thinking at this point thats my best bet, going out in some lite rain and 10am... lets hope I get such a scenario.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Had one cooperate yesterday... took a nice one around 8:30 am...he was all alone and came in on a string..
Old 05-23-2010, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

we've had a lot of excitement going on these last two weeks, but to no avail. Lots of turkeys still chasing hens around here! (Near Schoharie, NY) Can't wait for next weekend.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats West Ma Hunter.... Persistence pays off..

Ya gotta find the right bird at the right moment...

It's a dynamic thing, always changing... A gobbler may be without hens one day of the week or one hour of the day..You have to BE there when he is vulnerable...Some birds, especially old boss gobblers are so covered up with hens throughout the WHOLE season, that they are seldom, if ever ,vulnerable.. To kill one of them you have to get lucky, call in his hens or pattern him and simply wait in ambush... Certainly not as much fun as working in an actively gobbling bird, but sometimes it's the only way...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pygmy
It's a dynamic thing, always changing... A gobbler may be without hens one day of the week or one hour of the day..You have to BE there when he is vulnerable...Some birds, especially old boss gobblers are so covered up with hens throughout the WHOLE season, that they are seldom, if ever ,vulnerable.. To kill one of them you have to get lucky, call in his hens or pattern him and simply wait in ambush... Certainly not as much fun as working in an actively gobbling bird, but sometimes it's the only way...
Right on. I'm also in Steuben County. The gobblers are still henned up pretty good around here. I've been hearing people say that the birds are all done, but that's not the case.

The pattern/ambush tactic has payed off twice for me in the past week. There simply is not much else you can do when you have a limited amount of ground to hunt and you're trying to put your tag on pressured, call-shy, henned up gobblers. It's not the hardcore "gobbling-in-your-face" hunt that everyone wants, but to me is nearly as fulfilling when a plan comes together. After all, how many times have you had a turkey roosted and just know that you'll kill him in the morning and then have things fall apart?

Anyways, here are the two longbeards that my father and I killed this past week. Mine was roosted with another longbeard and some hens. The would gobble on the roost but totally go silent once they hit the ground and met up with their hens. Finally, on the 6th consecutive morning of playing cat and mouse with these two I was able to tag out on a beautiful gobbler.

20 lb, 10 1/4" beard, 1 1/4" spurs

Saturday evening I located a longbeard strutting out in a field with two hens. Knowing where they typically roost, we decided to set up in the upper corner of the field in the morning where a logging road comes out into the field. At 5:25 a hen flew out on to the field and started picking around. I figured that big boy was close by but he never gobbled on the roost. At 5:40 I hear the unmistakable "pppffftttvvrrrrmmm"..."pppffftttvvrrrrmmm"...comi ng from the logging road. Twenty seconds later dad's 11-87 roared and he had bird #2 for the season down.

21 lb, 10" paintbrush, 1 5/16 & 1 1/4 spurs.

I guess the moral of the story is that its never too late in the season to "get it done." Sometimes you just have to put the calls away and use unconventional tactics to make your own luck.

Good luck to everyone out there during this last week of season!

Last edited by WNY Bowhunter; 05-24-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bro, awesome gobblers for sure congrats!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks man. I'm ready to switch over into deer mode now. Thinking about putting the trail cams back out this week sometime...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great hooks... nice birds... mine weren't that nice..
gonna get ready for deer soon here myself...
Old 05-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

WNY Hunter... Great birds...!!... Congrats..!!!..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.