Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Henned up and complicated! >

Henned up and complicated!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Henned up and complicated!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
JW
Super Moderator

TG2
Let's see if this helps you for a set up.

What I find is the Tom and hens like the East side of a field as that is where the sun will warm it up first. So I look for a hiding place there. No place to hide a blind is in order (if one so chooses).
I also take specail note of where I consistently see hens. Tom will surely be there.

On some extreme set-ups and not to be busted or bust birds - I have gone in at 230AM without a light to set up my blind and wait for daylight. I only call softly IF I hear the Tom. I use 2 to 3 hen decoys in late season and at times a strutting Tom. The tom may or may not scare the bird. He may just come charging in. If sub dominant he will not.
Decoys are set close less than 10 yards from me. They are set off to one side opposite to which I beleive the Tom will come in so he will have to travel past me.

But the East side is key.

JW
Old 05-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks JW! That field I was at this AM, it has a slope in it that is East facing and has dust bowls in some sandy spots and tracks...seems they like it, I figure only a matter of time...I hope,lol
Old 05-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ya'll have too many restrictions up there, move down South and liberate your soul...

Have you ever tried fighting purrs??? I've been successful a few times doing this through the years, especially when he is on the neighbors property...
Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Been trying almost everything...He's got 4 hens and will not leave them...I think my only chance is to get right by his roost or spot and stalk when they are in a field....
Old 05-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

I would do what every one has said but if none of that works and he just hangs up and struts with his hens try busting them up just like in fall turkey season. You would be suprised how well it can work in the spring. I have never personally done it but i know some guys who did at the end of the season and they brought that bird home.