Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Henned up and complicated! >

Henned up and complicated!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Henned up and complicated!

Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Henned up and complicated!

So took this AM off, might go out for late morning hunt. I am hunting a beautiful big gobbler, he's got 3 hens with him. Thursday night and Friday night he roosted on the same ridge, almost same tree. Hunter him both Friday and Saturday AM, Friday it rained, he didn't fly down till late, infact I was soaked and needed to go home before I think he flew down. Sat. AM he flew down, landed above me 40-45 yards away, strutting, wouldn't come in. My hen decoy was behind a tree so don't think he saw it. I gave some excited yelps/cutts and he walked the other way and wet around and came out below to his hens who had flown down all gathered on a logging trail. They took him out across a field to some pines and towards another field. Last night was cool and breezy, heard him gobble a few times but not on the same ridge...he was in a little more. I hope he's back tonight. If he's back on that same ridge should I

A). Try and ambush him and sit where he landed on the ridge or down on the logging road?

B). Put out my hen and jake decoy and maybe some gobbles and try to get him mad

Those are my only thoughts for now....He's not dumb that's for sure!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Work the hens!

Get in early, while he's still on his roost. Place* your decoy on the edge of the logging road. Do a few trees calls, ONLY after you hear the real hen do theirs.

Then shut up, and wait somewheres along the road. You gotta hunt him where he's gonna be.

*on edge of road, preferably with her head buried in grass, or down, like in a feeding position.

Copy the sound of the hens! If they yelp, you yelp. If you get the boss hen to come and check you out...stay still. Especially if you hear her do a purr-putt, purr-put, purr-put. As long as you don't scare the boss hen, you got a chance.

Good luck! Let us know how you did.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Hens - find out where they like to be which is now around their nest. They will come out and Mr tom will make his rounds.

At this stage I use only a hen or hen decoys.....

and I will sit and wait once I have found the Hen area for hours on end right up to 5 PM........Calling light every once and a while.
This late in the season I shoot more birds after 12 Noon. Last 2 came in silent at 2 PM. Need to write that story.

JW

Last edited by JW; 05-16-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

If you know he is pitching in the field and joining the hens on the log road, I would set up just inside the timber on the log road. If it is at all possible, set up so that you can shoot the field and the log road, so you cover both bases. Being that you know he has hens there, I don't think I would even use a decoy. If you use one and you are between him and them, and they come to check you out and then go on out to him, you may not get him close enough. If you just let them call him in to them you know he will come past you.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that with him having 3 hens, ANY decoy use would be counterproductive... He's probably seen jake decoys before...

If he is roosting in timber and coming out to a field, the log road may be a key.. I agree with Deerdust...Setting up where you can cover the road entrance and part of the field would ideal.. Keep your calls in your vest..Often the best call is no call at all..

GOOD LUCK........
Old 05-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys! Last night and again tonight he's roosted down lower towards a swamp/creek....hope his hens bring him back to the ridge top. Going to go in where I heard him down low tonight, use a dirt logging trail in the AM to be quiet...Probably leave the decoy at home and see what happens...Will make it easier to get up and move if need be. Already lost the one stake piece yesterday to my decoy,lol
Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

At this stage I use only a hen or hen decoys.....

and I will sit and wait once I have found the Hen area for hours on end right up to 5 PM........Calling light every once and a while.
This late in the season I shoot more birds after 12 Noon. Last 2 came in silent at 2 PM. Need to write that story.
That is a problem for me as turkey hunting must stop a noon every day of hunting. I still have until June 6 though. So there is still some time yet for one to come around..
Old 05-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

C) Hunt later in the day...He'll leave those hens after he breeds them and go looking for another, just like a guy...
Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

C) Hunt later in the day...He'll leave those hens after he breeds them and go looking for another, just like a guy...

My first bird this year came in at 3:15 pm, with another gobbler that was announcing his presence...I shot him at 3:30...

We kill as many after 11 as we do between daylight and 11...Sometimes it pays to sleep in...It's hard not to get up to hear the early morning gobble but often worth it...
Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, can only hunt will noon here as well. Well this morning, 40 degrees and quiet, did not hear a gobble. I worked my way over and sat on the field edge for 2 hours and heard him gobble a few times over that period way down in the woods. Had a hen on the other side of the field and I called her in to about 10 yards. Will see where he is tonight. Suppose to rain tonight through tomorrow AM...So I'm thinking either same spot in the field or if I know where he roosts, get in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.