HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   blind advice? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/322984-blind-advice.html)

billey100 05-08-2010 06:09 PM

blind advice?

Hello all, my uncle out of the blue two days before turkey season said I could hunt his property. Problem is its never been hunted so the woods are completely choked out. I have a tom and two hens that come out of those woods in the same spot all the time into a field. Sounds great but problem is I need to be in the field shooting towards the woods as there is a road on the other side of the field. Bottom line is I cant sit in the woods and shoot north b/c of the road and I cant sit in the woods and shoot south b/c its so thick they would have to walk right by me to shoot.

Do I have a shot of buying some sort of cheap ground blind and setting it up out in the middle of the field? I dont want to spend a lot of money on a blind as I just hunt occasionally. Any other ideas, I dont have any brush around or anything to throw out there.

Should I prone out in the field and try it that way? I have always sat by a tree so not sure if this works?

Next year I might be able to get in the woods and clear out some spots but I have no idea if this year is a fluke thing with these turkeys being around here. I have never seen them around like this.

IL-Cornfed 05-08-2010 07:01 PM

A blind would be your best bet. It will work awesome as long as you keep it dark inside.

Matchbook454 05-08-2010 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed (Post 3624075)
A blind would be your best bet. It will work awesome as long as you keep it dark inside.

^ What he said! I won't hunt without a blind unless absolutely necessary. Once I started hunting out of one my success went way up!

billey100 05-09-2010 01:17 AM

Thanks guys, any recommendations for a cheap one online I can order. I dont need the best one only going to use it a few times a year.

rafsob 05-09-2010 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by billey100 (Post 3624116)
Thanks guys, any recommendations for a cheap one online I can order. I dont need the best one only going to use it a few times a year.

Check most of the mail order houses for a dog house blind. They will get as cheap as $49.00. I have two and use them for deer. Never thought to use them for turkey. Now you gave me a great idea. Thanks.

Oh yeah, there are one and two man small blinds that you can get. But they are a little higher in price.

billey100 05-09-2010 06:28 AM

Well gotta go find one locally, missed them again this morning with no where to shoot where I was setup. To top it off someone walked through the property and I had to yell at them. I know I am the only one allowed to hunt this 50 acres.

rafsob 05-09-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by billey100 (Post 3624174)
Well gotta go find one locally, missed them again this morning with no where to shoot where I was setup. To top it off someone walked through the property and I had to yell at them. I know I am the only one allowed to hunt this 50 acres.

I have had this happen a few times and it pi$$es me off. I consider this action poaching. I had a gun leveled at me and I went into my cop mode. This guy neve did this again, I am sure.

halfbakedi420 05-09-2010 09:03 AM

if it is as thick as you say....
just 1 side of a blind, a piece of plywood...cammo painted with real stuff from the area stapled to it.
.since ya know where they are comin from, you are in cammo behind this board that has a shooting hole through it..you can leave it there all the time, and chances are noone will see it. if they do steal it, it was just a piece of plywood..put a couple handles on it. and a stck will hold it up

dawei 05-10-2010 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by billey100 (Post 3624059)
Hello all, my uncle out of the blue two days before turkey season said I could hunt his property. Problem is its never been hunted so the woods are completely choked out. I have a tom and two hens that come out of those woods in the same spot all the time into a field. Sounds great but problem is I need to be in the field shooting towards the woods as there is a road on the other side of the field. Bottom line is I cant sit in the woods and shoot north b/c of the road and I cant sit in the woods and shoot south b/c its so thick they would have to walk right by me to shoot.

Do I have a shot of buying some sort of cheap ground blind and setting it up out in the middle of the field? I dont want to spend a lot of money on a blind as I just hunt occasionally. Any other ideas, I dont have any brush around or anything to throw out there.

Should I prone out in the field and try it that way? I have always sat by a tree so not sure if this works?

Next year I might be able to get in the woods and clear out some spots but I have no idea if this year is a fluke thing with these turkeys being around here. I have never seen them around like this.

THIS is all I ever use, works great!

billey100 05-11-2010 05:53 AM

I see those stake ones all over the place and they are cheap but does it work in the middle of a field? I was thinking that would not be enough cover even if I wrap it kind of around me?

They def like to come around in the afternoon as I have been watching them for the past few days but cant hunt afternoon in NY. Kinda cool as I got to see the tom chase the hen all over in full strut and then mate. Yesterday I was in between the two of them at my house, stuck the call out the back door and got the tom all riled up.

I am heading to Dick's or Bass Pro tonight to find something I can use for cover come hell or high water.