Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 looking for a new turkey gun >

looking for a new turkey gun

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

looking for a new turkey gun

Old 06-26-2003, 09:07 PM

Default RE: looking for a new turkey gun

Get yourself a Remington 870 12 gauge with a short barrel and shoot the 3" magnums......you don' t need the 3 1/2" to kill a turkey. You' ll never find a better turkey shotgun than the 870. I' ve been using one for 11 years with absolutely no complaints.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had an earlier version of the 835 and shot some Federal 4" s and 6' s out of those 3 1/2" shells. Let me put it this way, I give anyone credit shooting that gun and 3 1/2" shells!! Way to much kick for this guy to enjoy a morning at the pattern boards!!!
I feel that the 3" shell is more than enough to get the job done, yet alone a good quality 2 3/4" turkey load!! To each his own when chosing there turkey guns and loads. Personal preference comes heavily into play here!!
Old 06-27-2003, 03:14 AM

All' s I can say is REMINGTON RULES!!!!!!!! [:-] Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 06-27-2003, 04:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-27-2003, 10:09 AM

Maytom--While a morning at the patterning boards would surely hurt w/ my Benelli SBE shooting 3 1/2" shells, I NEVER notice the ONE SHOT I take at a tom in the spring turkey woods, with that same gun and shell combo!!!

Yankee--Thanks for the reply. I' m going to pursue those manufacturers and see what I can obtain.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:00 PM

If your only problem with this gun is the length of pull, then cut the stock down a little. Then you close the gap between you and your scope.

Or I guess you could give me this gun and go spend a bunch of money on a new one.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

As u can prolly see by my name i use a 1187 which costs around 720$. But before that i used and still have a rem 870 mag w/3in shells.I killed my first 8 birds with that gun and never had any problems what so ever. So i' d say 870 all the way for the price..
Old 07-01-2003, 01:19 AM

You can' t lose with either an 870 or 11-87 Remington. I presently own a Moss 835 due to a shortage of funds when I needed a shotgun, but if I had a choice for another, I' d remember how much I liked the 1960' s 870 Express I nearly wore out on the duck flats and I' d go back to a Remington.

Stick with 3" shells over the 3.5" . They will do the trick at turkey range, and will save a lot of extra wear and tear on your shoulder (especially when patterning). The latest loads [both for waterfowl and turkey] available pack plenty of punch in the 3" .
Old 07-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Woods,first welcome to the forum here!Lot of opinions here as to which which firearm to choose!Always is on this particular subject!Instead of a debate heres a few other things to look at on choosing a firearm your confident in.Quite frankly all gauges kill turkeys if a particular guns pattern is correct and the shooter shoots at the proper distances!I watched a 7 year old kill 2 toms in 1 shot this year with a 4/10!!Everyone has there own quirks as to what there looking for in a turkey gun,pump,auto,single shot,sights,scopes,chokes,camo,and we could go on and on!So much is made today of a desire to have a scatter gun be able to kill turkeys at further downrange yardages and much of the add ons to todays turkey guns are made to that end!It all depends on what your looking for and your own particular quirks that you individually have!There are many fine companys making guns nowadays that kill turkeys just as dead as the next!Choosing a gun that fits your own style of hunting I believe is more important than any aspect we can look at here!I' m a pretty aggressive hunter and am pretty hard on my equipment,inotherwords my own gun is probably going to get wet,get scratched,get muddy,and so on!I hate carrying a gun through the woods worrying about if I' m going to scratch it!!I' ll aggree that a good pattern is a must,but I also believe that matching a good pattern with your own style and comfort afield are just as important!Versatility is important too in that I get my moneys worth out of my firearm,not only do hunt turkeys with it but predators and geese too!!!My own particular gun is an Ithica Mag 10 loaded with my own reloads block stock and barrel!!Would I reccomend it?Absolutely not because theres so many more user friendly guns available to todays turkey hunter!But with that said I' ve shot this gun for almost 20 years,and am totally comfortable and confident with it knowing exactly what its capabilities are in the turkey woods!Would I shoot any thing else?Nope!!!When sqeezing the trigger is the easiest part of the hunt and you know that when your looking down the barrel and the gun goes off that the hunt is over than I dont see the need for a change!Its a great feeling!!! Good luck in your quest!
Old 07-02-2003, 04:26 PM

835 ulti mag[X(][X(][X(] 3.5" only in an ithica mag 10, 3.5 in a 12 ga your not
gaining anything, but a sore shoulder, [X(] and the 835, we have a joke about it, we call it the rattle trap sorry, use an auto load or a very tight
pump,,

Quick Reply: looking for a new turkey gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.