HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   decoys....Decoys....DECOYS!!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/322957-decoys-decoys-decoys.html)

BigBuck95 05-08-2010 08:51 AM

decoys....Decoys....DECOYS!!!!

What decoys do you use and why? I've been looking at them lately and am thinking about saving up to get one of my own, so what do you suggest? Brands, sexes (hen/tom/jake), setup,etc. Thanks,
BigBuck95:confused0024:

turkeyhunter76 05-08-2010 09:09 AM

I use just a couple of hens and works great, tried using a jake with fan spread out and one hen a couple of times last year and once this year with same results the toms came in hard seen decoys and left i cant figure that out i thought they would be all over the jake one set-up it was three nice toms

maytom 05-08-2010 02:21 PM

I prefer the foam variety for their light weight and folding/ storage capability. Specifically the new line of Feather-Flex "FLOCKED" finish models. The new jake's detail look's awesome as well as the new hen color. I now own only 2 decoys, one FF jake and one FF hen. Plenty to get the job done.

gun870guy 05-09-2010 04:43 PM

I didn't use deeks this year...

Tagged out using one mouth call and an 870 with 3 shells...

No gimmicks or fancy crap... Its how I'm gonna do things from now on

rogerstv 05-10-2010 08:58 AM

I like a single hen and sometimes a hen w/a strutting jake.

There isn't a right or wrong answer here. I've had decoys make the hunt and ruin the hunt. IMO no need for a bunch and no need for a non-strutting jake.

j76 05-10-2010 04:45 PM

Made a stutting jake this yr, we got one opening morn, but dont think the deke setup had anything to do with it. Since then they have helped me out none!!I'm at a point where i think all a deke does is give ya a little hope that it will help and make me sit tight longer. Often a call with nothing to show will make em look longer and harder. Think this is my last season hauling dekes around for nothing!!!!

Digi 05-10-2010 05:10 PM

Early morning when the toms are struting for hens I like a strut decoy like the pretty boy. I have had strutting toms just ignore the foam jake decoys and stay with the hen. Now when you put that strutting deke out and a henned up tom eyeballs that thing he will go beserk and walk right away from that hen to start a fight. They can't stand it.

After the hens have seperated from the toms later in the day, I either use the foam hen or no decoys. Where I hunt the toms are a little shy when by themselves and will hang up on the strutting deke and sometimes will bug out when they see the hen deke.

My experience has been that the only consistent decoy effect is the strutting deke on a henned up bird. I guess he can't look bad in front of the little lady.

JoeA 05-10-2010 06:10 PM

I got a 3-some a few years ago, and due to the hassle of messing with stakes and decoys, I just carry a hen.

One thing I did 2 seasons ago, was put better eyes in my decoy. I don't claim to have come up with the idea. Idle hands, long wait until next spring season and turkey thoughts have led to many fan-addicts to come up with the latest & greatest innovations...

I got a pair of turkey eye from a taxidermy supply shop. The next year, I saw some company selling decoys with lifelike eyes too.

My current thought on decoys are to see if I can replicate how a turkley looks in the the ultra-violet spectrum.

Iowabucks44 05-12-2010 08:50 PM

If you want to see some good looking decoys, check out Dave Smith Decoys. But be prepared for sticker shock.

I use 2 hard shell hens and one foldable foam jake. A friend has added a tail fan and beard to a regular jake decoy and he says the last 6 toms to see the decoy have been harvested. I need to make me one.

IL-Cornfed 05-13-2010 05:09 PM

Nothing like DSD's. They are amazing and the reactions from real turks that see them are unlike anything I've ever seen. They have changed the way we hunt!