Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Bow hunting turkeys without a blind >

Bow hunting turkeys without a blind

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bow hunting turkeys without a blind

Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow hunting turkeys without a blind

I just wanted to know if anyone here has bow hunted turkeys without a pop up blind, and have you been successful. Also i wanted to know how you set up to keep hidden.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 PM
JW
Super Moderator

While I don't bow hunt - I do know how a few have set up.

Decoys are used and placed behind the hunter to make the birds walk by back to the decoys for the shot. That Way a tree or brush pile can be used to get one at full draw,

JW
Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Ya, i gave it a shot. I didnt have success, Mainly because the Gobblers wernt cooperating with me. But i had 8 hens walk on by at about 20 yards and never noticed me. All i did was went to the woods with my Camo clothes, my bow, and 3 arrows, and some calls, a pretty boy and girl decoys. Found a nice spot with a small tree to leen againsed and some bushes that were low enough to see over and around. set my bow in my lap, set the 2 extra arrows to 1 side, and my calls on the other and my decoys bout 25 or so yards out, then just called untill i saw them, then picked up my bow and waited till i had a shot, but liek i said, all were hens with no beards.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Spike

I have shot 2 turkeys without a blind. Both times I had a big tree or a bush between me and my decoys. When to turkeys were behind the tree or bush I drew back and shot when he came out into the clearing. I' ve also had good luck with a blind. It just depends on where I'm hunting
Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have done it a few times i use a pruner and make a little bit of cover in front of me. honestly I like it a hle lot better i dont like the confinment of a blind and it really didnt make it that much harder I have a little kick stand for the bow that I can shoot while still attached and it always stays pointed at decoy just raise draw slow and shoot. Works real slick
Good luck
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes possible.

i actually set up with good brush behind me and i was somewhat in the open. it was a wooded area and the key is to not move or draw your bow until he is not looking at you. luckily the area i hunt has little hens and not too many toms/jakes so lots of eyes is not something i worry about. wait until he is not looking, draw and shoot.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

This was my first year to Spring hunt for turkey's, I killed the 3rd bird I called in with my bow, the first 2 were misses,...ya GOTTA know the distance.

I'm shotgunning for one now.