HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   How did my NY guys do opening day? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/322593-how-did-my-ny-guys-do-opening-day.html)

burlyman 05-01-2010 01:27 PM

How did my NY guys do opening day?

I didnt take a bird but had a great opening day.

At my first spot, i got out before light and hear 4-5 birds gobblin from the different roosts. They all shut up at the same time so i dont think i called at the right time to let them know where i was.

At my second spot, i located 2 birds on the far side of a field. i sat at one end but decided not to set up my deeks.(mistake) i called the birds in but they were cautious to come into range.

overall, a fun hunt so ill get out and give em' hell tomorrow morn!!

how did you do??

Dollar Trifecta 05-01-2010 05:06 PM

23 lbs
3/4 " spurs L/R
9 inch beard

Not sure how to make the pics larger....

G92 05-01-2010 05:41 PM

had a few gobble on the roost ,set up on one and he went the other way,then had 2 acrossed the field but wouldnt come in,then had a close incounter with a jake but he wouldnt offer up a shot either. tomoros weather looks not so good but you cant kill em in bed so ill be out ,good luck everyone.

johnl 05-02-2010 12:17 AM

me nothing but my son got a 21lb 9 inch beard tom

Bernie P. 05-02-2010 06:42 AM

Got a late start.I didn't hear any gobbling but I managed to get a hen to come by.She hung around about 5 minutes eying the hen decoy from about 20yds.Later another bird came in (Both came from behind clucking as they approached) but it must have spotted me.Never got a look at the second bird but it's clucks sounded much deeper than the hens so I suspect it was a male.

dtvburns 05-02-2010 03:12 PM

This was my first time turkey hunting. First morning spent 6 am to 7:15 talking to a gobbler but could not convince him to come into sight. Talked again for 4o minuets at 9 am, same results, heard gobbles all morning. Sun morning, nothing. Never heard a gobble or cluck, they where all gone. Sat. morning was a good time because I heard some gobbles and was able to entice them into a conversation, someday I will figure out how to get them to come in closer.

MDManiac 05-02-2010 05:58 PM

Called in a 17.5lb bird for my buddy (actually called in two, but we were set up wrong for the double), had 8 3/4" beard and 7/8" spurs... worked 4 other birds shortly there after to have the jakes come in and the tom stay in the field. 125gobbles or so were heard sat mornin, hunted cattaragus county this morning (left home at 1am, ouch!) only to get on a couple birds that out smarted us, we were setup in a blind, we moved towards the gobblers they flew down and proceeded to walk right up to where we had originally started the morning...it was tough watching that!

All in all good first weekend with lots of new york hunters going out, seemed everywhere we looked saw a vehicle on the side of the road!

Western MA Hunter 05-03-2010 09:44 AM

had one committ, but come in behind some thick stuff... didn't have ideal shot... he turned and left... never heard him again...
worked another couple w/ no luck.
Put a nice one down today...

A6A6 05-03-2010 01:35 PM

Man, i am mad I didnt make it out this weekend.
I was supposed to go out a day before opening day to sterling forest to find a nice spot to setup but never had the time to make it out.

Anyone have any good spots over in sterling or close to there ?
I live in brooklyn so I cant travel too far for the day.