HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   thunderstorms? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/322545-thunderstorms.html)

tschaef 04-30-2010 11:12 AM

thunderstorms?

I've had luck in the past in both snow and rain, but they just changed the forecast for my 1st real weekend out to thunderstorms :s8:

Any thoughts? I'm going regardless, but will I be wasting my time? I realize they won't hear me and I won't hear them, but will they stay on the roost, or will they keep in tight cover?

Any help appreciated...

Siman08/OH 04-30-2010 11:20 AM

Id.....stay home. No joke.

rybohunter 04-30-2010 01:54 PM

Depends, is it going to be a washout, or just storms here & there?
A heavy downpour would be tough to sit thru, but off & on showers..they say he birds head for fields.

tschaef 04-30-2010 02:32 PM

Not sure if downpour all day, and with their accuracy I doubt the weather man knows either. I do have two blinds set-up, mostly waterproof, at least until they are saturated.
Worse comes to worse I'll sit in a blind and read a book and smoke cigarettes, but I refuse to sit around inside on my 1st real chance this season to get out there for a hunt.

G92 04-30-2010 04:25 PM

you cant kill em at home....go you never know:happy0001:

Turkey Goddess 04-30-2010 05:45 PM

Heck ya, I'd go too!!! They'll probably be out in the fields - no way would I sit home. Lightening might be a different story though!!! Be safe and good luck!!!!

Kim :)

ksfowler 04-30-2010 07:05 PM

I would stay home. There is something about being soaking wet and having lightning around that takes the fun right out of it.

tschaef 04-30-2010 07:25 PM

I would stay home. There is something about being soaking wet and having lightning around that takes the fun right out of it.
says the guy with the awesome lightening storm avatar.
I see what your doing, trying to keep me away from the birds because of the contest! LOL
Screw that, I'm going, I won't be there at 5am but I'll be in a blind mid morning

learningturkeys 04-30-2010 11:56 PM

My uncle shot his first turkey a few years ago from a tent blind in the middle of a thunderstorm. He said it was great, the toms gobbled with every sound of thunder!

Mottz 05-01-2010 05:28 AM

Last weekend I went out just before an afternoon thunderstorm. I had one coming to my call across the field when the thunder and lightning started to get with it. He'd gobble with every crack of thunder but he instantly turned and started heading towards the trees. I couldn't get him back out so being out there with a shotgun and lightning, I decided to give up for the day.

From my experiences they hide in thunderstorms but on drizzly or just rain showers they prefer the open areas a little better.