Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Damn if you do Damn if you dont >

Damn if you do Damn if you dont

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Damn if you do Damn if you dont

Old 04-30-2010, 03:04 AM
Spike

Default Damn if you do Damn if you dont

I am debating on using a hen decoy. Opening day is tomorrow and I dont think i've been this excited. A buddy of mine and I will be hunting together. IN the past I have never had luck with a decoy out and maybe its because I dont use it right. Any suggestions or ways to call around a decoy. I have a box, slate and crow call available. Please respond, theres less than 24 hours to slaying
Old 04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have only been hunting for 5 years now for turkeys but it seems if you have a hen decoy out you would want them facing away from you so when that tom comes in to try and breed the hen, he will walk around the hen and get on top from behind her. Then you can raise your gun or pull back your bow... Which ever you are using. Calling wise... im not really sure. Ive had some good luck calling in birds by purring when their closer. I do some clucks to and that works good.
If you are using a strutting tom then have him facing towards you that way that tom comes will come around the tom and face your decoy as if he was going to fight him.

Im not a professional hunter but those are some things people have told me and I tried out myself and it seems to work...

Goodluck this season!
Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

i am not an avid turkey hunter, but that sounds like some good advise. preciate it.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I leave the dekes at home. Been a part of 3 kills this year...none with dekes.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always had FAR more success with decoys, compared to not using them.... espcially when your decoys are ultra realistic like the DSD's. Called in and killed 6 mature Gobblers.... less than 1 hour hunts each this season and ALL shots were between 6 and 18 yards. The one bowhunt I made without my decoys this season.... I had 2 different Gobblers work towards me.... one stopped within range but screened by brush and the other hung at about 40 yards and refused to come in because he KNEW that he wasnt seeing the Hen that should have been there. Decoys make the difference!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
G92
Fork Horn

unless i plan on hunting a field(pretty rare) i leave em at home
Old 04-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

If you're in close on roosted birds that can see the decoys come first light, I don't like putting them out. But most of the time I will put at least one out (and usually 3) and usually I know the general direction they are going to come from. When it all works like it is supposed to, the decoys should be offset from your position and not in direct line of sight of where you anticipate them to come in from. And I would put them downrange of the direction I anticipate they will come from about 7-10 yards so they are looking at the decoys beyond my position. Gives just a little extra edge in the event you need a couple of seconds you might not otherwise have. Everyone has their own ideas and quirks. And it's amazing we all shoot birds with totally different tactics. What should that tell you??...