Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
how do you hunt the late season after the turkeys have breed? >

how do you hunt the late season after the turkeys have breed?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how do you hunt the late season after the turkeys have breed?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Exclamation how do you hunt the late season after the turkeys have breed?

here in maine we had a very early spring usually we still have a little snow left in the begining of april, but this year all the snow was gone and the turkeys were breeding in the middle of march, now i havent seen any toms in about 2 weeks and i dont know how to hunt the season, the hens i still see but there few and far between the toms are pretty much gone what would be the best way for me to hunt this season? ive thought of just riding around and stalking them? im not sure what to do anyone have some ideas?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Spike

Your toms did not just breed the hens in your area and leave. They are still around. I think pretty much everyone in the nation had an early spring with early breeding going on, however the gobblers should still be in your area.

Have you been out at daybreak to listen for gobbles? (just asking) Some mornings regardless of what state I am hunting in gobblers for whatever reason may not gobble. You might have been out on such a morning and not heard one but I guarantee you if you saw them there in the early part of April they are still around..

Hang in there and put in as much time as you can in the woods. I bet you will eventually hear/see a gobbler.. Good luck and let us know how it turns out..
Old 04-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Here in NY, usually during the last week of the season, I have similar results. If you don't hear any gobbles in the early morning, try to be in an area that you have seen and taken birds before, preferably near a roost site. Plan on staying all morning, so get a comfy seat. I give out a few calls and wait 15-20 minutes. Go softly with the calling as well. By this time of the season, they have heard all the loud cutting calls, etc. and most likely will respond to softer calling now. Try that calling sequence and be quiet for 15-20 minutes while scanning the woods for movement. Most likely they will sneak in quietly and show up very close before gobbling. Keep your movement to a mininum as well. Patience is the key now.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Basically scout in the afternoon and hunt the same field the next morning.
Toms travel a lot always looking for hens and if you are the first hen in the morning you'll have a super hunt, and yes even the Jakes are a little bit bigger then.

Last edited by huntrfishr; 05-01-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

if the birds are winding down u need to find a feeding spot as well, catch them coming to and from those spots. i kill quite a few birds this time of year on my belly, sneakin up on them.