HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Got a Question! Turkey shells Vs. Cheap Loads (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/322304-got-question-turkey-shells-vs-cheap-loads.html)

Bullet Hole Bailey 04-25-2010 08:09 PM

Got a Question! Turkey shells Vs. Cheap Loads

Well Lately I have really been doing a lot of patterning with the Good ole 870 Express Super Mag and a Tight wad choke. I thought those 3.5"s were the way to go but now, a couple years later and with a sore cheek that hates the mule kick of those monsters, I'm starting to think otherwise.

Now, I patterned my gun with a cheap load (Remington Nitro) of 3.5" 2oz #4's and at 35 yards I was getting 130 to 140 pellets in a 10" circle. I bought some Hevi-13 #6's but at 5$ a pop I cant justify patterning those! So I decided to see what some dove loads would pattern like. Kind of suprised me! A winchester STEEL Dove load, 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #7's put 190 pellets in the same 10" circle. This load is stated to be moving at 1200 fps, so I'm thinking that it will kill a turkey just as dead but I am curious if, for shooting at 30 yards and under, if there is even any advantaged to the 3.5" or just stick to those sweet little 2 3/4" shells?

Thanks!!

JoeA 04-26-2010 01:16 AM

Check your state's regs on legal shot size for turkeys. Many states don't alow shot size less than #6 for turkey. Smaller shot may not have th energy to make an ethical or efficient kill.

There are 2 3/4" turkey loads out there, that work fine. Win. & Federal both make'em.

Wingbone 04-26-2010 02:18 AM

Steel doesn't have the impact that lead or alternatives have, especially #7's. You'd pepper the turkey alright, but just end up wounding him because the pellets don't have the momentum to break or penetrate heavy bones. Turkeys ain't doves.

keyshunter 04-26-2010 07:43 AM

I don't know about the #7 shot and have zero experience with steel shot. But, in the days before the magnum craze set in, we killed lots of turkeys with regular 2 3/4 inch pheasant loads with plain lead #5 or #6 shot.

SJAdventures 04-26-2010 09:16 AM

Where the cheap loads will rear their ugly heads is if you have to make an extended shot or you make a less than perfect shot. Inside 30yds about any shell will kill a turkey if you make a good shot.

IL-Cornfed 04-26-2010 03:07 PM

But you "game load" rounds have NO KNOCKDOWN at even mid turkey range. The Hevi-13 is practically off the scale when compared to traditional lead loads. You don't just wants hits.... you want pellets that smash through bones to anchor these large birds!

Also, I realize that turkey loads are expensive but my God, it isn't like you have to spend hundreds of dollars to pattern a gun! After that.... how many shots do you plan on taking each season ?!?

SwampCollie 04-26-2010 04:00 PM

If you are looking to save some money on shells... no problem... you don't have to shoot $5 a pop shells. Been probably 1000 times more turkeys killed with copper plated 6s than all high density shot combined, and I'd level a fair bet that there is still more killed each year with lead than with high density.

Steel, on the other hand, sucks balls. And thats all I have to say about it. I've killed enough ducks and geese in my life to know that it will do the job.... but seriously... I'd sooner shoot a turkey with a REAL dove load of 1oz 7.5s than with steel #7s. Energy wise... that is about the same as lead #9s... which won't do much other than just feather doves past 25 yards and inside of that all you do is tear them all to hell.

3" 1 3/4oz Copper plated Lead turkey loads are about $2 more a box than the 2 3/4" 1 1/2oz ones... and both will be far and away superior to your steel target loads.

Bullet Hole Bailey 04-26-2010 05:54 PM

Thanks Guys! I'm glad I didnt use them, Went out this morning and Shot a double bearded Rio with a 2.25 oz of Hevi shot 6's and at 35 yards the thing never even twitched, it was awesome!

Bernie P. 04-28-2010 06:46 AM

With the right choke lead (if legal) in 2 3/4" 1 3/8oz loads or heavier of #4,5,or 6 will kill any bird out to 40-45yds.Nothing against the premium turkey loads but they really aren't needed.

SJAdventures 04-29-2010 01:05 PM

I hunted for years before I bought my first 3.5" magnum with 2 3/4" 4x6 copper duplex loads and never did have one run off. I never shot past 30 and most were inside 30. I still don't shoot the heavy's. Win HV 3.5" 5 shot 2oz loads will flatten them out to 60yd with my setup so no sense in me spending any more money than I already do for heavy's