Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Got a Question! Turkey shells Vs. Cheap Loads >

Got a Question! Turkey shells Vs. Cheap Loads

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got a Question! Turkey shells Vs. Cheap Loads

Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You definetly dont HAVE to have the more expensive shells. But last year I bought a box of 10 Nitro H517 (4x5x7 all Hevi-Shot), ive never had a pattern remotely near as good as i did with that load. Took down a nice tom with them this year. The way i look at it is I used 1 shell to pattern because thats all it took, and used my second one this year to take my bird, which leaves 8 left. I see no reason to have to take more than one shot, as good as those pattern, and to the range they pattern to. Since here in Michigan we're only allowed one bird, thats only 1 shell a year.

Thats about $8 a year on turkey shells. Thats a pretty low price for the best shells in the world.

That being said, i shot my first 4 bird with a single shot NEF 12GA with 3" Winchester Supreme #5's.

Its all shot placement and shooting within each guns effective range.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

If you can hit a total of 3 or more shots on the head and neck using #4,#5 or #6 lead shots at 30 yards you are good to go, no matter the cost of the shells, including 2 3/4 inch field load shells. If planning to shot at 40 yards then find a load that will place 3 or more shots on the head and neck using #4 lead shots. Anything farther than 40 yards just experiment with #4 lead shot which is the heaviest you are allowed to use and carry over the most energy at that distance.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try some of the 3 inch Remington Nitros, they are about $8 a box...More lead in the shell doesn't mean more lead on the target...My Browning 3 inch mag just dosen't like 2 oz loads, it does much better with 1 7/8s...
Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

No matter what you use you have to experiment. Some of the expensive loads will actually have more powder and depending on the gun will spread the shots thinly after certain distance.