Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
hunter invaded spot.. need advice >

hunter invaded spot.. need advice

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hunter invaded spot.. need advice

Old 04-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default hunter invaded spot.. need advice

hey everyone..i got a bit of a dilemma. i hunt on 80 acres of my families property which is next to a creek bottom and horse pasture. my problem is.. i have been scouting this group of birds for a week now.. and every night they roost in the creek bottom and fly directly from the trees to the horse pasture and walk onto our property ...only about a total of 80 yards ... my problem is that the owners of the horse pasture just gave permission to a guy.. who will be hunting the horse pasture directly in line where my property is. so NOW the bird have to cross him to get too me. i called the guy and talked to him about where he is setting up and he said he is setting up right on the prop. lines. and i said i will be hunting there and he basically said ..well thats tuff sh!t. is there a way to move the birds to a different roosting area ( like scarying them) all the surrounding property is mine minus the horse pasture.. or is it possible to bring them from the roost in a different direction
Old 04-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the roost on your land? If so problem solved. Hunt closer to the roost.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

the roost is on my land.. but its in a creek bottom (bowl) no more than 50 x50 yards with steep cliffs on both sides.. they dont fly down into the bottom in the am.. they fly from the tree tops to the pasture on the cliff edge which isnt my property.. only way i could get down into the bottom i think and possibly make them fly another way is to walk 1/2 mile of creek down stream to the bowl. or would i just chalk this 1 for bad luck and find birds elsewhere? im hunting with a bow.. and ground blind
Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Just hunt your property like u planned on.
Put some decoys out,And make sure u are the 1st one to hen yelp in the morning,
it will get the turkeys looking and thinking in your direction.
And if all else fails they pitch down to the other hunter,he can only take one!!
Then he will be gone.
or he might even bump them to you.Maybe it will work to ur advantage!
Dont sweat the little things in life,
Be the better sportsman,And it will all fall into place..
Have fun out there....
Old 04-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Spike

As long as you are setting up on your property and not stepping over the property line I would set up between the jack-ass and the roost site if possible. I'm all about being a good sportsman but this guy you described is a butthead. He could have worked with you on setting up instead of telling you tuff shi&. Please let us know what you decide and how it comes out.. Good luck on getting one!!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjgjr
And if all else fails they pitch down to the other hunter,he can only take one!!
Then he will be gone.
Have fun out there....

I agree 100%
Old 04-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Spike

You also might consider a predator decoy like a coyote or a scarecrow to try to move the birds. One of the life size movie star cut outs standing next to the fence should work. I'm thinking John Wayne or Elvis would be good.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Then he will be gone.
Have fun out there....

I agree!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

kinda humerus when it comes to someone getting in our way when we have a plan already.
just change your plan, show up the 2 days before he does, unless your talkin about opening day this is different story.....
80 acres aint much especially if its all clearcut and horse pasture...
so you 2 guys out there trying to get the 1st call in is gonna sound a lil humorous, cause ya know he is planning the same thing., cause he is probably reading this too, and yall are gonna scare everything away....
certainly he cant kill em all ..legally ..so if it is opening day, you go Monday Tuesday,
and invite the dude over fer a beer and a steak,
make friends with him...
.i know we want all the game for ourselves, but he is a fellow hunter...and if your ever alone and ya break your back, you dont want the only guy around fer miles to act like he didnt see you.
gl 2u2(you and the guy)
Old 05-01-2010, 09:15 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Spook them out of the trees a couple evenings in a row and they will start roosting elsewhere. Wait until they are up in the trees and then go walk in on them. Most birds I have bumped off of a tree more than a time or two will not keep going back to the same roost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.