Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
first time out and man i am hooked for for life but i need help >

first time out and man i am hooked for for life but i need help

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

first time out and man i am hooked for for life but i need help

Old 04-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default first time out and man i am hooked for for life but i need help

i went out for the first time in my life turkey hunting where i go deer hunting in ohio and it is mostly real thick cover and it is in between 2 moutians i have only seen turkey deer hunting at my firends house but he was not home so i went to my grandpals house where it is thick real thick so i called my uncle and asked what he thought befor i went down there and he told me to go all the way in the back so i did and i sat down at this tree we sit at most of the time and called a little bit and nothing so i started moving toward the house and stoped about 200 yards before i got out of the woods and sat there for about 25 mins called a little and and nothing then i was about to get up and go home but i called one last time and this gobbler went off the deep end he was going nuts and it was the coolest thing ever but he only got to about 150 yards and then he would not come any closer do you think it is because i was not using a decoy he might of seen me smile because when he was gobbling i could not help it i bought a lil duce slate call with the carbon striker and man that thnig is a beast i think i am going to set up on the on the grassy part of the hill before the moutian and put up a decoy what one do you recomand thanks for your help
Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Spike

I really don't think you did anything wrong. 9 times out of 10 from my experiences the gobblers tend to hang up out of range because in the normal breeding patterns of turkeys the hens go to the toms. With that being said, maybe use the terrain to your advantage and if he hangs up again make a little move towards him as long as he doesnt see you. Also try to keep the calling to a minimum and let him get curious. Call once every 10 or 15 minutes just so he knows your there. Theres a lot of little things you can mess around with it just depends upon the gobblers move. Good luck hunting!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That was the longest sentence I have ever read in my life. Make sure you don't over call. That will turn them off...or so I hear.