Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey cross a river?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Banned

Default Turkey cross a river?

We have Merriams here, but every time I set up a blind, decoys, etc, the damn birds are on the opposite side of the river!!
It doesn't metter what side I choose, they always seem to be on the other side.
Will a turkey cross a river/creek to get to a hen/call/decoy? Or they just hold up?
Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

As you have seen they will cross of their own free will. You won't be able to call them across. How wide is the river? If it is narrow you should be able to call them to the edge and shoot across if it isn't real wide.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Spike

Both me and my brother-in-law harvested longbeards that we were able to call across a lake this year. I was right under mine while he was on the roost. He flew across the lake out of the roost and then I was able to call him back across after about five minutes or so. My brother-in-law's bird was on the other side and he called him across. Both birds were taken right on the shore where they landed and the lake was about 150 yards wide. It was more like a strange kind of duck hunting than turkey hunting but it was definitely cool. Mine rolled into the lake after the shot and with the wings flapping started swimming towards the middle. I got a little wet getting that bird out. You might want a retriever if your near water.
These were lightly pressured Rio's.
I think it probably has more to do with where the hen's are than anything. If he wants you he'll come look for you but if the hens are on that side you're chances are slim. My advice would be to roost them and hunt that side in the morning although when you do that they'll probably fly to the other side right out of the roost- Murphy's Law.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel your pain.... the last four times I've hunted... the birds have been on the other side of the swamp... whatever side I am on is always the wrong side... and the hens will be between me and the toms. So it goes.

It is fairly common place to call one out of the tree across a body of water. I wouldn't put money on calling one across once they are on the ground, but it does happen with relative frequency. Birds will often cross on their own. Keep in mind how nature works... the hens are usually the ones who fly across to the gobblers.... so if you get hot and heavy on the call... the bird will often just stand at waters edge and gobble like an idiot for 15 minutes before turning around and walking off when you are a no show.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Remember, they can fly!! If your coax them, they will come.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:56 AM
Banned

My question is answered!
I have brought my hip waders just in case. . . now if it will just stop SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!