Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How long did it take you to down your first bird? >

How long did it take you to down your first bird?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How long did it take you to down your first bird?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

First yr trying spring gobbler or turkey hunting all together. I am patient though, took me 8 yrs to get my first deer. Problem was the person who I was hunting with when younger. Once we stopped hunting together and I did my own thing it has been awsome.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

first year 17 minutes into it i pulled the trigger
Old 04-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Went out for turkey's the first time ever yesterday.

A co-worker set me up on one of the hunting properties he manages, right under a roost tree in a ditch next to a field. Told me to sit tight and still. Birds came out of some wheat about 400 yards away and eventually walked up to about 25 yards from me.

120 minutes after settling in, I had my first turkey.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

I tried 3 years on my own on public land. Best I did was spook one off a roost trying to set up on him! 7 or 8 years ago I started my current job and met a guy who had some experience. He called me in a jake that season (my 4th season) and a big tom the next year. I once again set out on my own with lessons I'd learned from my buddy and from the birds. I've called in and killed at least one every year since.

My brother-in-law had the least time under his belt that I know of for his first kill. I took him out 2 years ago and we happened to set up under the dumbest jakes I've ever met. They pitched down 100 yards out and sprinted back to the decoys. He had a total sit-down time of about 5 minutes!

rw
Old 04-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been taking my Daughters Turkey Hunting for going on 4 or 5 years now...still haven't shot one yet,the Girls and Me had several close calls where the Toms started to come in but they either hung up with the Hens or they would travel off down into the woods?I can get a Deer with no problem but those Turkeys can beat me every time.I'm going out for the 1st this year sunday morning so hopefully I will stick with it and get lucky this year?Its tough for me to go out because I work thru the week and may only get sat or sun off to Turkey Hunt and we can only hunt til 1:00 PM so a time factor is also against me too.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first 4 seasons I hunted I was unable to connect. I had no idea what I was doing in the beginning and slowly began to learn. My 4th year I feel is the year I learned more than any other year. I happened to be bowhunting that year and didn't get one, but I figured I could've killed 10 - 15 birds that year had I been carrying a shotgun and had enough tags. Those first four years were very valuable to my learning curve. In the 7 seasons since then, including this year, I have scored every year and have taken 14 gobblers total. No jakes, all toms.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Spike

I'm starting to think that I might want to try bow hunting. Do most hunters Turkey hint with a bow? Just curious.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

3 years and I killed him at age 11. Gobbler too, so I said then and there I will not shoot a jake because the first one is down.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Spike

On my 2nd hunt on game lands. On my third hunt {yesterday} I saw two hens. I may have had success so quickly because when deer hunting this particular stand I saw turkeys about everytime I went. So I sat down and started calling. One hour later the 870 barked and I was on my way home.