Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How long did it take you to down your first bird? >

How long did it take you to down your first bird?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How long did it take you to down your first bird?

Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I busted my first during my 2nd season. I bumped one my first season, and the sight of him flying off haunted me for a year. I went back to the same general area the following year...it was a huge rush when I shot him.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

first year, 2nd day out
Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Spike

I hunted for years on heavily hunted public land in a heavily populated state without tagging one. I could always call birds in to within 100 yards or so, then they would just hang up. I got hooked on that alone, even though I never got one. Years later I started hunting Rio's on private property and now I can't seem to do anything to stop them from coming in. So I think it has to do with the bird and the pressure. Calling skill is also a factor, but in some places it is definitely harder than others to get that first bird.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

10 years of chasing them.

Finally killed my first one on my 18th birthday in fact.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Self taught, first year I tried I only went a couple of times. Got close once, no luck though. I moved the following year from VA to RI and didn't get out hunting for several more years, but I did score my first season back in the woods. There has only been one season since then that I did not score, and I did have some close calls that year.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Spike

Second day of my first season hunting turkeys. However, I went with an experienced turkey hunter (10 years, 20ish birds) on private land. So you might say it was because I had a good guide.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by snewton_89
Second day of my first season hunting turkeys. However, I went with an experienced turkey hunter (10 years, 20ish birds) on private land. So you might say it was because I had a good guide.
I bagged my first bird (birds actually, 2 in 1 shot) last weekend on my first time ever going, but I too was with a very experienced turkey hunter and we were on some of his land that he'd been hunting for 35+ years.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

i went last year. Im fourteen and self taught go out by myself and i can call um within 20 yards....now....thats gotta happen saturday!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Self taught trial and error,Is gonna take longer if not a couple seasons.
Unless ur lucky.
But to be taught by a seasoned turkey hunter it could take less then a hr!

It took me 3yrs.back in the day,25yrs ago.To finally catch on to what i was doing wrong .Over calling,not setting up right,Moving,

Now i fill my turkey tags every year,
Sometimes without calling,
just by getting in close,
& using my hat to simulate a bird flying down by hitting it against my leg,And brought toms in by just scratching the leaves like a turkey raking the ground for food while im sitting there with a stick or my hand..
Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

3 years for my first. 30+ in the 14 years since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.