Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How long did it take you to down your first bird? >

How long did it take you to down your first bird?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How long did it take you to down your first bird?

Old 04-21-2010, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default How long did it take you to down your first bird?

My apologies if it's been asked before but I'm curious how long it has taken for you to down your first thunder chicken...I'm going on year two so far, hoping I can get one this week.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed my first spring gobbler the third year that I hunted them..

That was 35 years ago and I've killed spring toms every year since then except two...
Old 04-21-2010, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Natimage. If your going the self taught route it can take a while. lol I went that route and it took me 3 seasons also, just like Pygmy. I've also been hunting them for nearly 40 yrs. now and I've killed my fair share since then but I remember that first one like it was yesterday. You'll get one just keep after em.

Dan
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 AM
G92
Fork Horn

missed one my 2nd year,so it took me 3 years until i got one,this is going to be my 5th season and im still yet to shoot a tom,so this year jakes are walking.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Self taught turkey hunter here. 25 now, and have been hunting 8 years. First year I got skunked, second year shot a jake, and every year after that I have tagged out.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

3 years for the first, and then 6 years later for the 2nd. Ive killed 2 birds in 9 years.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:57 AM
JW
Super Moderator

First yr I started I was lucky and lucky and lucky and missed and lucky...................

long story short I have learned a ton........and do each tme out.....but have more luckies than time to report. Hey am not rubbing anyones nose in it at all - you get out of it by how much time you put in! I spent a bunch scouting and still do!

My Best tip

All I can tell you -Think Like A turkey - Act like a Turkey - and scout hard - you will Kill a Turkey!

JW
Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went a handful of times back in high school with folks...don't really count those tho. More to go do something that to try to kill something. This is my first year out, at age 26, and I am a self taught kind of guy. Been deer hunting for several years and have been in the woods wandering and squirrel hunting as far back as I can remember. Took me a week and a half. Killed a gobbler and a jake last week. Most of it was luck, no doubt, but I put in a lot of time scouting and practicing calling. The best thing I believe I have learned so far, thanks to many on this site, is to make sure and not call too much. My first gobbler I called sparingly. Once he was coming my way I just shut up and let him do his thing. That didn't work this morning, but it is called hunting and not killing.

My dad never was a big game hunter, but I owe a great deal to him for teaching me everything I know about woodsmanship. That has helped me more than any other one thing with deer hunting and now turkey hunting. Being familiar with the woods is my greatest asset right now. Hopefully in years to come, with more experience under my belt, I will have more than luck working on my side.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

2 hours...i was very lucky
Old 04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been goin 5 years now and never shot one. I got myself into turkey hunting and every year I go with my bow and try getting one on film by myself. Its tough but my first turkey WILL be with a bow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.