HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   What is best call and shotgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/321874-what-best-call-shotgun.html)

Jr_Buck_Hunter 04-19-2010 05:12 PM

What is best call and shotgun

please tell me

blueahlijr 04-19-2010 05:27 PM

Well for the Best Call, that has worked most for me is my Primos Power Crystal slate, I think i have worked more Turkey with that then my Diaphragm. And for Shotgun, Dang... Any 12Ga, I use a 12Ga Mossberg Magnum Grand Slam. One of the Best i have used so far, But its really up to what you like to shoot.

JoeA 04-19-2010 06:38 PM

Best call? Best shotgun? There's no right answer, only what works best for you.

Although, for shotguns, I would tend to look at makes & models that have been field tested.

Calls....it's all about what the bird likes on a particular day. One day, they'll like your slate. On another day, your boxcall is the bee knees.

Sagittarius 04-19-2010 08:18 PM

Best call for me is my new Derby City slate over glass Pot call made from 500 yr old growth maple with an old growth striker. :cool:
Like my Browning BPS 12 ga 3 1/2" magnum but wouldn't mind having a Citori 3 1/2" white hunter or 3 1/2" Beretta Xtrema2 !

jbaham 04-20-2010 07:53 AM

There is no right answer to this question. I prefer my slate call and box calls but I also have mouth calls and locator calls. I also prefer the big 10 ga shells as I own 2 10 ga shotguns a browning bps and a remington sp-10 with a thumbhole stock and the gun is there turkey model. Whatever fits you the best. One thing to remember when selecting a gun though lighter is not always better. I have used several 12 ga 3 1/2 inch guns that have a lot more recoil than either one of my 10's do. Don't fall for the myth that the big 10 is going to hurt you they aren't bad to shoot at all even with slugs in them. I can and have shot a good pattern out to 60 yards with the bps and the sp-10 can shoot 65-70 yards. these are not ethical shots but if It was the last day and I hadn't got one yes I would take the shot.

Jr_Buck_Hunter 04-20-2010 11:51 AM

thanks to everyone who awnsered

Bernie P. 04-21-2010 06:47 AM

For me it's a HS Cuttin 2.5 mouth call.Easy to use,sounds great and no worries about them spotting the movement required with slate or box calls.I know better to answer the best gun part.

dawei 04-21-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by JoeA (Post 3615067)
Best call? Best shotgun? There's no right answer, only what works best for you.

Although, for shotguns, I would tend to look at makes & models that have been field tested.

Calls....it's all about what the bird likes on a particular day. One day, they'll like your slate. On another day, your boxcall is the bee knees.

This is very sage advice! That is why so many successful turkey hunters carry a lot of calls. In my case I use...........

• Lynch® World Champion™ No 102 box call.

I have five "Pot & Peg" calls...........
• Lynch® "Jet Slate"
• Hunter Specialties® Ring Zone™ Slate
• Hunter Specialties® Voo Doo™ Ceramic
• Hunter Specialties® Black Widow™
• Quaker Boy® Quad Threat™; Slate, Brass, Ceramic, & Corderite

Additionally I use the following strikers........
• Acrylic
• Carbon
• Hickory
• Paduk
• Rosewood

In essence using the all of the possible "Pot & Peg" combinations I have 40 different calls!

I further carry the following locator calls......
• Hunter Specialties® Owl Hooter
• Hunter Specialties® Hammerin' Crow Call
• Hunter's Specialties Johnny Stewart Coyote Dog Howler Predator Call
• Primos® Gobbler Shaker Call

It's all about what will work on any given day. Todays absolute hottest call may very well not work the next day. If you have limited funds then I would suggest you purchase.........

• a Hunter Specialties® Box Call
• Quaker Boy® Triple Threat™ or Quad Threat (comes with two strikers - thus you are getting six call or eight calls in one)
• locator call of choice

As for choice in shotguns, only you can determine what is best. In my case I use a Mossberg® Mdl 500 pump, and a Remington® (Baikal®) SPR220 SxS. I am extremely satisfied with these two choices.

RIStrutStopper 04-21-2010 04:33 PM

I agree there is no right answer to this. Whatever call works on a particular day. I'm partial to my power crystal, that has been my go to call for a few years and it doesn't break the bank. I love the sound of a nice custom call to or high end crystal or glass (woodhaven cherry classic, etc.) but I haven't been able to bring myself to shell out $70 for a call. As for shotguns, its all personal preferance. I have a mossy 835 that is a pretty good turkey gun, but you can make most guns into a good turkey gun by polishing your barrel and tweaking your choke/load combo.

IL-Cornfed 04-21-2010 06:03 PM

I've hunted with a bunch of different shotguns and have developed some pretty strong opinions on what are the better shotguns.

From what I've found in the turkey gun world... you really do get what you pay for. I've used cheaper guns like the Remington 870 SPS, Mossberg 835's, Browning BPS and some higher quality autos like the Browning Gold on up to the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. All these guns and my alltime fav turkey gun is the T/C Encore Pro Hunter 12 gauge with the Benelli coming in a close second. These 2 guns when topped with a TRU Glo Gobbler Stopper and shooting an Indian Creek, Black Diamond Strike choke and shooting 3", 2 oz, Hevi-13 Magnum Blend are just awesome!

Concerning calls, I have buckets of calls laying around the house from over the years and my alltime favorite call is the Wood Haven Cherry Classic Crystal... nothing sounds as authentic and produces a wider range of turkey calls, from screaming high end yealp and cutts to soft and sexy cluck-n-purr. This call does it all and will easily take the place of dozens of lesser calls.