Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Nice 1st Turkey for the little man! >

Nice 1st Turkey for the little man!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Nice 1st Turkey for the little man!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nice 1st Turkey for the little man!

Well My little cuzin John, who really wanted to go out for Youth Season here in Ohio, Hes grown up hunting, Last year he didnt get 1 but got really close and he said he didnt want toTurkey hunt ever again, Well then he decided he really wnted to.
So we started the day out getting up at 4:30am, he was the 1st one up. Got ready, drove to the spot, Walked way back to our spot where the day before we set up a blind for us to sit in since its hard for him to keep still when he gets excited. It was a Cold Cold day for Turkey, we tryed roosting the turkey the night before but never saw or herd them at all, so we gave the spot a chance anyway since the last 5 years Turkey have rooted there. Anyway, got all comfortable and started lookin in the trees all around, was still really dark out, then i believe it was around 6:30am, we Herd/saw one fly down about 70 Yards infront of us, we tryed working him over to us but we didnt know where he was, The Woods were very Quiet, the Turkey wernt gobbleing at all, the Hens wernt making a peep. So we waited a bit and threw a few more peeps out there and still nothing, the about a 45mins later i catch a glimps of something about 70 yards off to the right a bit, i watch for awhile to see him all puffed up walkin back and forth, So i tell him to get ready and i showed him where we was and where i had a feeling he would be comin from. Threw a few more peeps out, then i see 2 Hens with him, now it made sence why we was so quiet and struttin away, but them Hens came rite for us, so i kept quiet and the Hens came rite beside us, The big Gobbler was about 50 yards back, Still struttin away, then i slowly had John move over a little to get a better shot, while the Ol'Tom was turned around and his little ladys where past us, then he spoted my Pretty Boy and Girl sittin 20 Yards away that i had set up that Morning, and he started to work is way over, By then John was shaking so bad he couldnt keep the gun still, Kept telling him "take a deep breath, Calm down," then the hens came back and started takin him away back where they had come f rom a little, so i decided to pull him back, i threw my mouth piece in and worked a little charm and man oh man did he get fired up, He worked his way back and gobbled 3 times, Got bout 30 Yards and i told him thats bout the closes hes gun get, So he took the shot and droped him dead in his tracks.

The Bird weighed in at 20Lbs, with a 11 1/2 berd.
A Great Day for a little Hunter!
Attached Thumbnails Nice 1st Turkey for the little man!-mvc-131f.jpg   Nice 1st Turkey for the little man!-mvc-132f.jpg  

Last edited by blueahlijr; 04-18-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Great Story, Great Hunt, you just made a Turkey Hunter for life, if you play your cards right, this Cus should tie your boots, fix your breakfast, he loks like a GREAT Kid!

Does this old Turkey hunter good to read these storys.

TF
Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Congrads!
A memory that will last a lifetime!!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

first turkey that big dad gum man lucky kid...he'll hunt a while tryen to beat that but congrats to both of ya...hes hooked now I bet
Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the great replies guys, and Yes, Hes Very hooked, Rite after we got out of the woods to get it checked in, he asked if we could get him another tag and also said Turkey hunting is easy. I had to Laugh like crazy when he said that.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

awesome story and awseome bird!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

wow awesome that's his first one
Old 04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Also forgot to mention, The Best part was that he killed his 1st turkey with a 12ga that has been pasted down a few times that i killed my 1st Deer with, His sister killed her 1st Turkey with last year, His dad killed his 1st Turkey and Deer with, and his dads Dad (my Grandpa) killed his 1st Deer with. So its a Special gun to the Family so far, and is played to stay that way.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up Job Well Done!

Great story,great hunt,great young hunter! May you get many more and enjoy the fellowship of your new huntin buddy who I'm sure is now hooked on hunting. Good Hunting!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Spike

Great story! I really enjoyed the read. Congrats to him on a great first bird!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.