HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   First Tom of the season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/321733-first-tom-season.html)

Matchbook454 04-17-2010 11:34 AM

First Tom of the season

I got my first Tom of the season today. 22.5 lbs, 7/8" spurs and roughly an 11" beard. Question - He had 3 strands that were 15". Does this make him a 15" bearded bird? Pics and story to come tomorrow - I need to crash.

PHA 04-17-2010 12:50 PM

Congrats on the gobbler.

On the beard length, make sure that the longer strands are indeed intact and not loose - be careful!!!. If they are intact, then the beard is 15 inches.

cjgjr 04-17-2010 01:18 PM

Congrads!! ;)

Turkey Fife 04-17-2010 06:32 PM

Congrats on the gobbler.

On the beard length, make sure that the longer strands are indeed intact and not loose - be careful!!!. If they are intact, then the beard is 15 inches.

I agree!

Turkey Goddess 04-18-2010 03:26 AM

I'm dieing to know if it's a 15" beard or not!!! :) Pics will be cool! Congrats!!!

Kim :)

Matchbook454 04-18-2010 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Turkey Goddess (Post 3614214)
I'm dieing to know if it's a 15" beard or not!!! :) Pics will be cool! Congrats!!!

Kim :)

I skinned the bird yesterday and it's wrapped up and on ice right now until I get it to a freezer this afternoon. I will pull it out and double check to make sure all strands are attached. I did wash the feathers though to remove blood and it didn't look like They were strands that were pulled out and stuck to others but I'll bouble check and take some pics. Honestly, I didn't think that 3 strands would make it a 15" bird and didn't know to measure to the longest single strand. Most of the beard goes to about 10.25", with about a half dozen or more to 11", and then the 3 long ones!

RIStrutStopper 04-18-2010 09:23 AM

Yup, could be a 15" beard you've got there. When you check, post up the total score!

Matchbook454 04-18-2010 12:58 PM

Well, unfortunately they were loose strands that were stuck to others by blood, dirt, etc. Oh well! Anyway, here are some pics.

These aren't real hens, they're my decoys!!

Matchbook454 04-18-2010 01:12 PM

Here's the story-

I was set up in a field by 4:45 a.m. and between 5:5 and 5:30 I started to hear birds gobbling. I called back and they would respond. Things were looking good and I probably heard around 30 gobbles as well as some hen talk. Around 6:20 I see 2 hens pitch into the field I was in and was actually suprised they were still in the roost at that tiem. Anyway, I called to them and nothing. About 30 min. later I notice 2 hens crossing to my right and then another. Behind the 3rd one I see just the top of a fan above a high spot in the field. I started calling and the tom immediately responded and worked to about 80-90 yards with one of the hens. He was on a knoll and I was on another with another knoll in between us. He could not see my decoys but was really fired up. I just couldn't get him to cross the knoll between us and come in. I stood there gobbling and strutting for at least 20 minutes. All of a sudden he just turns around and walks back towards where he came from. I'd call and he'd stop and strut briefly, but then continue towards the woods. I quit calling for a bit and then just gave him soft soft calls. About 20 minutes later I picked up my box call and gave it a few yelps and within 2 mintes he was coming down the edge of th woods with the hen close behind. As soon as he saw my decoys he gobbled, ran in and then it was all over for him!

NCRemington700 04-18-2010 05:52 PM

Nice bird! That's the same slate call I use. Great job!