Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
S D and Neb. Hunters.... >

S D and Neb. Hunters....

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

S D and Neb. Hunters....

Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Joey are you talking to me? I don't understand what you are saying. Sorry, please give more info.

TF
Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Bourbon is right on I-44. 70 miles west of St. Louis. Goggle it.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Spike

No, question was in response to mez comment on unlimited tags in SD.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by joeyc
No, question was in response to mez comment on unlimited tags in SD.

I didn't explain it very well. The total number of tags sold for the Hills is unlimited. Non residents can get one tag, residents can have two tags. There is no lottery system or draw for the tags. You just need to submit the application and they mail the tag the next day. With regular hunting licenses, you fill out your information and can print the tag immediately online.

With the turkey tag, you fill out the application and they mail a tag. In the Hills, which is an unlimited area, you can go directly to the Game and Fish office in Pierre, fill out the application and they hand you a tag.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Spike

OK, thanks for the information. Went there last year on vacation with the family and really want to go back to hunt. Any tips you can offer to get started mez?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Spike

I shot my first Tom over memorial day weekend last year along the Platte river. I would say that will be just fine.
Good luck!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by joeyc
OK, thanks for the information. Went there last year on vacation with the family and really want to go back to hunt. Any tips you can offer to get started mez?
I'm not exaggerating when I say the Hills are full of turkeys. They are everywhere. Just about every ridge in the Black Hills will have turkeys on it. I live right next to the forest service in Piedmont, SD. Was working in my yard on Monday evening and could hear 7 different gobblers up from my house. This is in a very accessible area with roads everywhere. I don't even scout much at all to hunt the hills. I just take off running and gunning. If you get on a ridge in the evening or early morning you will hear several different birds in the tree. Just pick one.

For getting started you basically just need to decide where you want to stay and then book a room. It doesn't matter unless you are coming with a family and want to stay near Mt. Rushmore and some of the attractions in the Hills. If not pick a place close to the hills and then start walking, calling and listening. A lot of birds between Piedmont and Sturgis, which is where I hunt. If you have an ATV bring it. You can drive most of the roads in the forest service in a pickup but need 4WD and smaller pickups like a Tundra, Ranger, Frontier for some of the trails.

A lot of the ATV trails are closed until the end of May which is a good thing. Makes people get off and actually hunt rather than just driving trails all day.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Spike

We just had 3 hunters leave with 4 adult toms. They said the toms still had a ton of hens with them, so I think the best is yet to come. They killed 3 birds with bow and 1 with shotgun.
If interested in hunting northeast Wyoming on a DIY hunt, give us an email at [email protected] or check out our website at www.empireguesthouse.com.
The hunters that just left took all there birds on there own and on public land.

Mike Smith
PS You can get 2 tags over the counter for area 1.

Last edited by msmith1956; 04-23-2010 at 03:31 PM.