Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
check this out and please answer >

check this out and please answer

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

check this out and please answer

Old 04-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Spike

Default check this out and please answer

which is better for hunting a big gobbler or any gobbler for that matter. a strutter decoy with a submissive hen or just multiple hens?
Old 04-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont use gobbler deeks till later in the season when things get more competetive...
Old 04-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

I use multiple hens. No gobbler decoys for me.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Think it depends on if you want a higher chance of killing a bird, or if you're willing to sacrifice a bit but possibly bring in the biggest most dominant bird around.
What I mean is having a tom deke may scare away smaller birds that don't want a fight, but would bring in the dominant bird in the area.
So depends what your after, if you just wanna kill a legal bird I think your chances are better with just hens, maybe add a jake. If your determined to shoot a high scoring monster then use a tom deke, as long as you realize you may be sacrificing chances at smaller birds by doing so.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a gobbler or jake decoy user at all
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

What you said:

"strutter decoy with a submissive hen"

and what Tschaef said:

"Think it depends on if you want a higher chance of killing a bird, or if you're willing to sacrifice a bit but possibly bring in the biggest most dominant bird around."
Old 04-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Just one hen will work fine, and maybe a jake to make the gobbler you're trying to lure close more competitive....Good luck!
BigBuck95
Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
What you said:

"strutter decoy with a submissive hen"

and what Tschaef said:

"Think it depends on if you want a higher chance of killing a bird, or if you're willing to sacrifice a bit but possibly bring in the biggest most dominant bird around."
what are u talking about
Old 04-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

He means that you'll spook lesser dominate birds but have a chance at a monster coming in.

I'd opt for the Strutter and I've shot some awesome birds hunting over one the last couple seasons.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen it work both ways, in that I mean I've seen jakes come to a full strut decoy, but I've seen jakes sy away from them as well. I've had times with gobblers that I wished I had a full strut decoy, because they wouldn't come to just hen decoys.
Now this past weekend, I used a full strut pretty boy with hen two mornings in a row, and killed toms with my bow both mornings. SO.........what that means is sometimes you can do know wrong with any decoy you choose, and sometimes you'll wish you had used something different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.