Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

20 ga for Turkey?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default 20 ga for Turkey?

I recently posted about getting my daughter into turkey hunting and I'm ready to begin the process but wanted your input on the suitability of the 20 ga 1100 with a 2 3/4 inch shell. The gun does not shoot 3 inch, it is the 1100 LT.

Given that, what shell would you recommend in terms of shot size, brand, etc.? Does hevi make a shell in 2 3/4 and would that be a better choice given the limitations I face or should a std turkey load in 5 or 6 shot be suitable?

Also, what would be a reasonable maximum range with a turkey extra full choke? I'll do the patterning, but what do you think? I use 40 yrds as a pretty strict limit with my 12 ga rem 870 3 inch with #6's. thx for the input
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I had same gun for my youngest,When he started turkey hunting.
No unfortunately they dont make any brand of hevi shot,in 20 ga.2 3/4"shells.Just in a 3" shell.
Ive patterned the Winchester super x HIGH BRASS #4 AND THE #5 2 3/4" shells.They are just lead shot.But my youngest has taken toms,hens etc.One shot stone dead out to 30-35 yrds!It patterns very well,Considering its a 20 ga.with only a 2 3/4"shell.
I think its like $16 for 25 shells.So u have plenty to pattern,and hunt with.
Hope this helps,and good luck...
Old 04-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Fork Horn

After you do the patterning you'll know the effective range. All guns, even off the same assembly line with sequential serial numbers may shoot different. I've never known anyone to shoot more than 40 yds, but thats mainly because they haven't had to. I'm sure it can be done with the right choke, shell, and shooter combination. Different brands,lengths, and loads will shoot different. You may be totally surprised that a shell you never even considered may be the best, when you find it ten years down the road.You'll only know by trying.
I personally would not teach a kid to try to shoot too far but rather call them in closer and be sure of the shot. If I knew I could shoot 40 yds I would set a stake or a decoy at 30 and ask the kid to be patient and not shoot unless the bird came within that kill zone, and even closer if possible. Teach the kid to always be sure of the shot and accept the loss if the bird doesnt come close enough. They need to know that it's never a sure thing and it's not ok to try and shoot something out of range, and I would need to know that the kid is up to making the longer shot under real hunting conditions before I felt comfortable letting them take it. If the gun, choke, shell and kid combination work well at the range you choose to let them try, then stretch it a little more, and soon they will be as comfortable as you are in taking the long shot.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Typical Buck

By the way, this post wasn't about teaching my daughter to shoot as far as she could, what I was trying to get at is, I know a 20 ga 2 3/4 inch is not the idea shotgun for turkey hunting, in fact, I couldn't even find an official turkey load at BPS. What I was trying to figure out was what the max effective range of such a load would be for such a load. With my 12 ga, it is 40 yrds though i've never shot a turkey in 12 yrs beyond 30 yrds, most 25. I just wasn't sure if the 20 ga max range might be 25-30, meaning my normal shot is the outer limits of the youth gun.

CJGJR, what choke were you shooting in your 20?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

my guess is that 30 yards would be pushing it my son has an old mossberg 500 in 20 ga and 30 is about max with 3 inch shells maybe with a new barrel and a tighter choke we could improve that a little
Old 04-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check the velocity of teh pellets, you will see 20/12 are the same, the only difference is the number of pellets, the only controlling range limit is pellets in the kill zone, you just have to check.

Both my boys use 20 guage youth models and both have shot turkeys, ranging from 15 feet to 25 yards. All birds hit the ground with barely a flop.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry forgot to mention,Both chokes i used in the 20 ga. model 1100 were a.570 constriction.One was called tightwad choke.Both worked fine out to 25 and 30yrds. after i dialed after market sight in.Cause Even though we were shooting 2 3/4" #4s & #5 "LEAD"That was plenty of pellets.All u have to do is get them grouping! u dont need 100-200 pellets in a turkeys head/neck to kill him!lol.Dead is dead!If your guns throwin consistent pellets in the killzone.And especially for a small child that 20 ga.load u cant go wrong.Same thing as shootn a 12 ga!Just less pellets.Same Knockdown!If both a 20 ga. and a 12 gauge were thrown only 15 to 25 LEAD #5 pellets in a turks head at 30-35 yrds!Try and keep it under 30 u wont go wrong,main thing is get the combination dialed in at the range.And u are correct u wont find TURKEY hevi shot or copper plated lead turky shells in 20 ga. 2 3/4" in any store.If u know someone who reloads they can load some 2 3/4" shells with copperplated or somkinda hevi shot.
But remember hunters have been killing turkys for years using #4,#5 lead,well before the copper plated lead turky shells came out to give u knock down energy past 30-35 yrds.then they came out with the hevi shot extends ur knockdown power even further1But none of them meen a hoot if u cant pattern that far with them.
I look forward to taking kids out for the youth season here in pa for turks,More then when i hunt regular season.Nothing like the look on ur kids face after they lay a turk over!
Have fun and good luck to u and your daughter this season..

Last edited by cjgjr; 04-08-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: want to add
Old 04-08-2010, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

My Lady friend uses a 20ga and shoots 2 3/4 hevi shot #6. She has killed turkey at 45yds. Glad you are getting your daughter into hunting.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 20 ga. will do. As mentioned before, the primary difference between the 20 ga. and 12 ga. as far as killing gobblers, is that there will be less shot at any given distance all else equal. The momentum per each BB is about the same. I would "guestimate" that 25-30 yards would be a dead bird. But you need to pattern the gun and load. If I were you I'd use a "turkey" target. If you can get roughly 10 pellets in the head/neck region, its a dead bird and that is about the effective range. My daughter uses a 20 ga., 3" with a Rhino turkey choke. Does fine about to 35-40 yards using Winchester Supreme #5's.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a link to some hevi shot you might look into.
http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?op...ducts&Itemid=5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.