Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
HUGE! NE Archery Gobbler >

HUGE! NE Archery Gobbler

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HUGE! NE Archery Gobbler

Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default HUGE! NE Archery Gobbler

Well the curtain came down on my NE archery Turkey season yesterday. After sitting a blind most of the morning. I could hear a very large group turkeys about 150 yards away across the river. They were tucked in behind a dirt berm. So, me being the daring soul I am I decided I would wade the river and go after them.
I was on the cut side of the river traveling up the 4' dirt bank. When I got to within 60 yards of the turkeys, I noticed 3 jakes were watching me. I slowly duck down behind the bank and waited on them to relax. I eased closer. I got to within 40 yards and peeked up over the bank. I was wanting to get to the larger bunch as that was where the big gobblers were.
I made it about another 5 yards when I peeked up over the grass to see a gobbler looking right at me. I ducked down as he started towards me. I was stuck, I couldn't move in knee deep water. I thought if I can ease 6 feet further and remain heidden I could kneel on a small mud bank.
I thought about peeking up thinking the bird was on top over me 4 feet above. I saw the top of his head just ahead of me getting ready to jump down on a grassy shelf at the rivers edge a mere 20 yards in front of me. As, he started down I drew my bow. About the time he noticed me. I let it fly... catching him perfect. He was leaking bad as he headed back in the direction he came from. As, he was flopping in the grass 30 yards away. The 3 jakes came over and whipped every last breath out of him. Very cool to see.
There is alot more of the story from the weekend. I will share it with a video that will be put up soon. 2 more birds died. That story will follow with that.
Heres a "teaser"...

But for now...
I guess you could say this is a "different" gobbler. He has two beards, one 8" and one 9", 1 1/8" spurs, 19.5 lbs.
My first turkey with a bow...

Old 04-04-2010, 07:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Give me the spur lengths in inches and I can score using NWTF calculator.

will score well based on Double beards

Congratulations

JW
Old 04-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats!!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

very awsome man good to see somone is having luck this weekend lol
Old 04-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!
Give me the spur lengths in inches and I can score using NWTF calculator.

will score well based on Double beards

Congratulations

JW
1 1/8" Please let me know I would be curious as to what he scores. I have never scored a turkey. Also I have been told he is probably a hybrid not a true merriam. Even my Taxidermist didn't know what he was. You have any insight on that? Thanks!!

Last edited by ElkNutz; 04-04-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job! Were you hunting the Pine Ridge area or somewhere else?
Old 04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Somewhere else...
Old 04-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice bird- After yore story, my hunt seemed kinda boring!LOL
Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Nutz,
Awesome bird, very respectable indeed. The double beard ought to put his score up there. He don't exactly look like a Merriam's. Are there Rio Grandes in NE?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

Who knows... there are easterns coming in from Kansas and Iowa and Rio and Merriam already there. I don't know my turkey species characteristics well enough to know what is what. I know a merriams because fo the white tips but beyond that you got me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.