Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

IL Youth Season Success

Old 04-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default IL Youth Season Success

Man o man what an unbelievable morning!!!

I've got to share these pix of my sons, Nick (10) and Mathew (9), and the awesome trophy birds they took this morning on our Fulton county property. Both, by the way, were their FIRST turkeys ever!

Nicks bird came in just before 7 AM and strutted up to our DSD Decoys, offering him a 17 yard shot and as you can see, big brother made good on his first shot at a Gobbler. We jumped out of the blind and after the high-fives, hugs and congrats we snapped some photos of his trophy bird and couldn't have guessed what was about to happen next! The entire time we were snapping photos, we could hear other birds gobbling up along the ridge bordering the creek. Before leaving I told the boys that we should throw out some more calls and see if anything answered. After the first couple yelps from the Wood Haven Legend Slate, booming gobbles shot out just to the West of us. It was as fast as we could jump back in the blind and get the T/C Encore loaded that we could see three more birds on top of the ridge directly across from us, on the other side of the creek. A couple more soft yelps and some cluck 'n purr on the slate had them trotting our way and they actually glided over the creek, landing directly behind our blind. When they passed our blind at only 6 yards, Mathew dropped the hammer on the longest bearded bird in the bunch! The time was only 7:30! Without a doubt, the most action packed half hour I've ever spent in the woods!

Stats on the birds,

Nicks tom weighed an impressive 25 lbs, and sported not one but TWO beards that measured over 9" each. He also carried 1" spurs. Score - 84

Mathews tom weighed 20 lbs with a 10 3/8" beard and wicked 1 3/8" spurs. Score - 68

No doubt, these boys may spend a long time trying to top these two trophy birds!

Old 04-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

That's awesome! Great looking birds.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats awsome cornfed, congrats to your boys!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Give them both a pat on the back for me. Good show, good show.

rw
Old 04-04-2010, 03:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats to both boys on their first birds
Old 04-04-2010, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

WOW IL!!! That's awesome!!! Those birds are huge - congrats to your boys!!! I bet you're the proudest dad in Fulton County!!!

Definitely trophy takers!!! Can your boys be on our team??? Just sayin!!! LOL

Love to see parents getting their kids outdoors and hunting - keeping our hunting heritage alive! You just claimed responsibility for 2 turkey addicts - no doubt in my mind!!! LOL

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Kim
Old 04-04-2010, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Memorys of a lifetime

Great story and I see many more in the future. Good looking kids (Good they thing they got that from MOM)

Love seeing kids in the woods. Thanks for sharing!

DB
Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on their birds! Hopefully they'll pass on the tradition to their children and it will go on for generations!
Old 04-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice man great birds wish my youth season worked that good
Old 04-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the congrats guys, I let 'em read your replies and it made their day!

We got the tail fans pinned today and the spurs boiled and cleaned, I think the boys were as excited to do that as they were to hunt 'em. LOL!

Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.