HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Help me decide on a choke for my Mossberg 835 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/320810-help-me-decide-choke-my-mossberg-835-a.html)

npaden 04-01-2010 10:55 AM

Help me decide on a choke for my Mossberg 835

Okay, pretty much what the title says.

I broke down and bought a Mossberg 835 last week to use for turkey hunting. It came with a 24" barrel and a Utli-Full Turkey choke.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...350-01883-2235

I bought some Winchester Supreme 3 1/2" #5 Turkey loads and got a good pattern at 25 yards, but not what I was hoping at 40 yards.

I've read a TON of posts on what others have used with their 835's, and actually have a Jellyhead choke sitting here that I bought at lunch. I saw a Tightwad choke for half the price that was the same constriction .690 and was wondering what the difference would be? The Jellyhead is about 1/2" longer but that's the only thing I could tell.

I have some 3" heavyshot already and bought some 3 1/2" Remington NitroTurkey also, along with a limbsaver recoil pad as I still can feel where I shot 4 of the 3 1/2" shells on Monday trying to figure this out.

Only other choke I found in town was a True Glo and it was even cheaper but I couldn't find what constriction it was.

I guess the safest bet is just stick with the Jellyhead and spend the extra $? I was hoping the factory choke would be good enough, but it just doesn't seem like it.

Here's the factory choke shooting Winchester supremes at 8.5" paper plates.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nathan

npaden 04-01-2010 11:05 AM

Okay, just did some more seaching and the Truglo choke is a gobble stopper and shows a .679 constriction.

Doing my research, the choke tube that was the most recommended for the 835 was a cheap choke called "Star Dot" that was a .675 constriction. Of course they aren't made anymore.

I might buy one of the Truglo chokes first (they are $19.99) and if it patterns well then return the unused Jellyhead choke that cost $49.99.

maytom 04-01-2010 11:30 AM

Try out that jellyhead choke, they rate it well. Also, try using some 3" loads as well, they pattern better than the 3 1/2" shells at times.

RIStrutStopper 04-01-2010 11:51 AM

My 835 does well with a Jellyhead. I have a 20" barrel though. Should be even better with a 24".

ek_buckmaster 04-01-2010 12:03 PM

I like my jellyhead. I mean im not getting the 200 pellets in a 10" circle like others are getting with the heavishot. I shoot winchester supremes 3.5 6 shot(lead) and i am getting 120 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40. Its good enough for me!

BOWHUNTERCOP 04-01-2010 12:44 PM

Indian Creek Choke, HeviShot 13, 3.5", 2.25oz., #6 is what I use with my Mossberg 835, and I love it

SwampCollie 04-01-2010 02:20 PM

The first thing you need to buy is some bigger targets!

Ride down to the hardware store and get you a roll of contractors paper... cut some 36x36 inch squares... one roll will last you a lifetime... and it costs like $11. Your gun might be shooting better than you think it is... but if you keep slinging those $4 shells at .04 cent paper plates, you'll never know.

Good move on the limbsaver! :happy0001:

I shoot a Pure Gold .670 out of my 835. I use 3.5" 1 3/4oz hevi-13 #6s, and it'll put over 200 pellets on that pie plate of yours at 40 yards. Course, thats with a good set of sights... and you need to be able to see the WHOLE pattern to know exactly if those sights are right or not.

npaden 04-01-2010 02:28 PM

Yeah, I know I needed bigger targets, I just didn't take the time to set everything up. Besides, I got the shells on sale, they were only $1.50 each. ;)

I really am tempted to run by and get that truglo choke at .679" just because it matches up well with what others are using very effectively contstriction wise.

I wonder what the return policy on choke tubes is? I opened up the Jellyhead already but I haven't shot it yet.

Matchbook454 04-01-2010 03:51 PM

I shoot a Jelly Head in my 835 and love it. IIf I had anything else it would be an Indian Creek. I shoot 3.5" Hevi-13 #5's and killed a Tom at 47 yards last season and a friend of mine used my gun and shot one at 50. Both birds dropped dead in their tracks.

npaden 04-01-2010 06:23 PM

Well, I think the Truglo is it for now. What do you guys think?

Here's the 1st target. 24" tall. I drew some 8.5" by 11" squares on it and put tape in the middle. I thought I was going to be able to shoot 3 times on each target, but I changed to only 2 times on each target, one on the left and one on the right. All shots were at 40 yards measured with a rangefinder.

This is with the Truglo choke. Winchester Supreme 3.5" #5 shot on the left and Remington NitroTurkey 3.5" on the right. Both shots with the Remington NitroTurkey in the Truglo choke ended up pulling left. Could easily have just been poor aim though, I was mimicking actual conditions using shooting sticks and the wind was blowing pretty good.

I didn't bother to draw a circle or a square on any of the other targets, just the tape where I was aiming. I think you can still get a pretty good feel for the pattern though.

This target was both with 3" Hevishot 1.5 oz. Left was the Truglo and right is the Jellyhead. Again, not a for sure because I wasn't on a bench, but every shot with the Jellyhead ended up a little high.

Both of these shots are with the Jellyhead. Winchester supreme 3.5" #5 on the left and Remington 3.5" NitroTurkey on the right. Both shots a little high.

On this one, I used the Jellyhead with the Winchester supreme 3.5" # 5 on the left and the Truglo with Remington 3.5" NitroTurkey on the right. Again the Jellyhead was a little high and the Remington NitroTurkey out of the Truglo was a little to the left.

Last target I stuck with the Truglo and shot Winchester 3.5" #5 on the left and the 3" Hevishot on the right.

When it is all said and done I think I'm going to go with the Truglo with the Winchester 3.5" #5. I'm probably going to try a few more with a better target and make sure it is hitting where I want it, but it seemed to be the best pattern out of all of them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nathan