HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Landowners: Stewardship and gratuities (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/320773-landowners-stewardship-gratuities.html)

KitsapCaller 03-31-2010 11:11 PM

Landowners: Stewardship and gratuities

This may sound a bit corny and I don't know if this gets discussed often, but something I always do for my landowners is try to leave the land better than I found it. If I find some litter along the way, I'll pick it up. Even if it's just an aluminum can or whatever else I might find a long the way and I'll let them know.

Also, I'll give them a gratuity and let them know how much I appreciate the privilege of hunting on their property.

Here in the Pacific Northwest it might be a gift of some smoked salmon and crackers, some premium coffee, a good bottle of wine, or some premium chocolates.

They seem surprised and the response is very positive. Every time I've done it, I'm told "you're welcome to come back anytime."

Plus, it does wonders for the image of the hunting community. I want to encourage you to do the same. You'll be glad you did.

cuda67 04-01-2010 09:35 AM

We do the same down here. My wifes uncle owns some prime duck hunting ground about five minutes from town. Every year at Christmas we get him a couple gift certificates at our local steak house. We've even done smoked turkey. It's not much but it's cheaper for us to do that than drive 45 minutes to the refuge to hunt. Plus he won't let anyone else on the property but us.

stretch56 04-02-2010 03:32 AM

Also, I'll give them a gratuity and let them know how much I appreciate the privilege of hunting on their property.

I agree.
I give the farmmer where I hunt a cooler full of catfish fillets every year.

Parrot Head 04-02-2010 07:38 AM

Out to dinner 5-6 times a year. Give them jerky, deer bacon, salomi, Moms home made Christmas candy. There daughter had a baby gave her a $100 gift card to Gap. I spent 2 weeks cutting up trees that had fallen in his field. Common sense stuff, and they always say you didnt have to do that.

BigBuck95 04-02-2010 07:50 AM

We give the landowner some meat from any animals we get, even if we didn't get it on their land. It just shows them that you're not out to kill and that you're grateful that they let you hunt on their property. Also, try to do some work for/with them. Help cut wood or with things around their farm/property. They always appreciate it, and always will welcome you back!!!!
BigBuck95

Krypt Keeper 04-02-2010 05:25 PM

You showing them appreciation is always a great thing. Giving small gifts, meat from game, or your time keeping the land looking nice and helping them out is a small price to pay for the countless hours and enjoyment you get.

turkey guide 04-02-2010 09:03 PM

As a lease owner I have been given maple syrup, quail breasts, gift cards of coarse,deer stands, extra boxes of ammo, taken out for dinners, game cammeras, meat, gasoline (my truck filled) and my favorite, trout fishing trips. Everyone who has hunted my lease has been very appreciative, and very respectful towards my land. But yeah, I definitely work harder the second year to make their hunts and accomodations better when they show that they are greatful.