Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
If you want to kill a big Tom ? >

If you want to kill a big Tom ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

If you want to kill a big Tom ?

Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Spike

Can you post a pic of what the wing looks like before and after putting it in the slit? I have a wing (in freezer), but need to preserve it. What is the best way to preserve the wing? Should I just cover it with borax and let it dry out or should I remove all the meat/fat then cover it with borax. I am not going to be able to use the wings this year, but I would like to get them ready for next year.

I am going to use the decoy tonight with a real fan and see how it goes.

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 AM
Spike

Just found this for preserving the wing if anyone else is interested...

I would suggest not using the "preserve it" on the wings at all. There is far to much muscle tissue in the wings of a turkey. There are two ways of removing the meat from the wings... Well I should say there are many different ways of doing it... But here are the two that I use.
The easiest way would be to pull or skin the humerus bone, which is that first bone, the one that was connected to the breast of the bird. Skin that down to where it connects to the next set of bones. After you have it all the way you can remove the meat very easily. And if you want, go ahead and cut that big ball joint on the end of the bone off, use a hack-saw blade to do this if you have one. You won't need it on there anyway, it will just get in the way. Now that you have that done you will want to flip the wing over so your looking at the underside of it. Next your going to want to make a cut along the inside of the wing to remove the rest of the meat. Make this cut where the butts of the secondaries go into the skin. You will have to flip the smaller feathers out of your way to see what I'm talking about. All your going to do is cut the skin, don't remove the secondaries from the bone. The secondaries are the large flight feathers, if your wondering. After making the cut, skin just enough that you can get in there and remove the meat that is there. Also go ahead and skin past the next joint and there will be alittle meat there that you can remove too. After removing the meat you can just super glue that flap of skin back down.
But before doing that you will want to rub some Borax all over inside to preserve it good.
If you would like the second method just ask, but I think this would be the easiest for you and its the one I use all the time.
Alittle hint for the "preserve it" in the feet.... You will want to get some Glycerin and mix it with the preserve it... I've found that a 50/50 mix works best for me. Make sure the feet are nice and fresh when you inject them... If there alittle dried out just soak them in cold water for a couple of hours... If there really dried out you will have to inject them with some soapy water and that will bring them back to life again. Also your going to want to use a pretty good sized needle to inject with, so make sure you have some pins to plug up the holes from the needle so that all the good injection fluid dosn't run right out.. "T-Pins" work good for this. You can buy Glycerin at any local drug store...
Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

snewton,

Yes cut out as much fleash as you can.

yes pin it "fanned" out on a broad.

yes, I use borax (some still use salt).

Same everything as you would preserve a fanned tail, but it goes in the, slits you cut in the sides, instead of the slit for the tail.....................??

This BB says my picture file is to big.(sorry)
Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by glassew
I worked a bird saturday morning, gobbling on the roost and occasionally when he hit the ground. The b-mobile was set out in full strut along with a hen. I never used decoys until recently since Alabama just legalized them in the last few years. Here he comes at 100 yards down a ridge across from me, and I hear him drumming as he walks up the hill towards me. He spots the decoys, turns right and leaves me wondering what the hell happened. I've seen videos where they work wonders but I'm still skeptical about decoys, seems like they are very situation dependent.
Ive been using decoys less and less the more i hunt these birds
Old 04-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Spike

I got it, thanks for your help!
Old 04-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Spike

I was skeptical at first but we used a b-mobile this weekend with great success. My buddy and I took two nice toms at 10 yards last Saturday afternoon. Three toms saw the b-mobile and approached it from behind to about 40 yards. They closed the last 30 yards in about 5 seconds. Sometimes they work...sometimes they don't. I'm taking a chance on it working tonight and tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by snewton_89
I was skeptical at first but we used a b-mobile this weekend with great success. My buddy and I took two nice toms at 10 yards last Saturday afternoon. Three toms saw the b-mobile and approached it from behind to about 40 yards. They closed the last 30 yards in about 5 seconds. Sometimes they work...sometimes they don't. I'm taking a chance on it working tonight and tomorrow.
I know what you mean, im taking a risk and using a Pretty Boy tommorow
Old 04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
G92
Fork Horn

i use the no decoy method,its much safer,and i think your better off withoutone anyways,just my 2 cents
Old 04-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

How often have you had a submissive bird run off after seeing a Pretty Boy?

I use 2 hen decoys and a jake. The jake is a foam decoy that doesn't really even look good to me. I have been thinking of getting a Pretty boy or a B Mobile decoy. I may even have to find a hard shell jake and add a fan to that if i'm hunting the less dominant birds
Old 04-22-2010, 07:21 AM
DKA
Spike

This is true!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.