Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
If you want to kill a big Tom ? >

If you want to kill a big Tom ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

If you want to kill a big Tom ?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default If you want to kill a big Tom ?

First follow link;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

Put a real tail fan on and cut the sides of the decoy and slide in real "fanned" wings.

Leave everything else in the car/truck.................bring your gun !!!

I have never see ANYTHING like it.........it WORKS !!!

As soon as they see it, shut-up and get your gun ready !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 03-29-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 AM
Spike

Oh yes, I have been using this set up since Pretty boy and Pretty girl came out a while back. It is the most amazing thing I have ever experienced in the turkey woods. When the toms see Pretty boy they come running...Awesome! It is amazing how the real fan and wings make that decoy look. Can't wait til saturday to put pretty boy to work!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I tookk yor advice and - Well I shot that Tom but dang it how do you clean Plastic?

JW
Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just got back from opening weekend in SoCal. One bird each day, both with 9.5" beards. The Pretty Boy with a real fan tail and cut the sides and put in "fanned" wings and place it near Pretty Girl. It should be illegal !!!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 AM
Spike

I worked a bird saturday morning, gobbling on the roost and occasionally when he hit the ground. The b-mobile was set out in full strut along with a hen. I never used decoys until recently since Alabama just legalized them in the last few years. Here he comes at 100 yards down a ridge across from me, and I hear him drumming as he walks up the hill towards me. He spots the decoys, turns right and leaves me wondering what the hell happened. I've seen videos where they work wonders but I'm still skeptical about decoys, seems like they are very situation dependent.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by glassew
I've seen videos where they work wonders but I'm still skeptical about decoys, seems like they are very situation dependent.
Very true, I've seen this in birds that get a lot of pressure. They'll spook at them just as good as they will work at times.

I do not use decoys for gunning to begin with, to me they are not needed, and would rather have a leary bird look for me than spot a decoy.

The times I do use them is on an occassional bowhunt, as when they do work, it aids in getting the bow back. But like I said, here decoys are 50/50 sometimes they work like a charm, and half the time they do not. i'll takethat gamble bowhunting, but gunning not a chance do better without them.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:35 AM
Spike

Default Pics?

Do you have pictures of the sides cut out to use real wings? I am not sure how to do it and don't want to mess up the decoy.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
It should be illegal !!!
I agree..Many a old boss Tom has been killed over these things that otherwise never would have!!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yip, I've seen it work like magic, but I've seen it ruin a good thing just as fast.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

snewton,

I'll try to talk you through it by using the link to the picture of the decoy.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

Cut along the line where the "colored portion" of the wing meets the black body, it's a fairly obvious line in the "shell" of the decoy.

Just cut a "slit" along that wing line.......................make it a hair longer so it can "slip" in the "slit" you made.

Place your hand on the underside of the "slit" and push on the "shell" of the decoy and slide the FANNED wing in; the tension will hold it in place.

You know that you have to "preserve" the tail & the wings with salt or borax in a "fanned-out" position for +/- 3 weeks first - Right ?

One thing is that the stake that the decoy comes with is a little short for the "real" wings; so that the wings touch the ground.

You can either cut the bottom of the wings or push the wings futher up into the "shell" of the decoy.

I liked the wings touching the ground this past weekend because it was really windy, and the decoy was moving plenty without "bobbing" on it's stake.

Lastly, make a cardboard "panel" for the tail and wings to transport them back and forth into the field.

It come with a carry back pack styled bag (put your cardboard "panel" in the carry bag with the "panel" flat against your back)....................go get'em !!!

BTW - I've used "other" decoys plenty..................not anymore !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.