Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Set-up problem: Can you help? >

Set-up problem: Can you help?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Set-up problem: Can you help?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Set-up problem: Can you help?

Okay, I went scouting this weekend and secured a property holding lots of birds.

I got up early and pinpointed the roost site. Heard a lot of gobbling from the roost in the early a.m hours.

Then, I took that information home and looked at aerial satellite photos to see the terrain and layout of the land.

My problem is this....The stand of trees which holds the roosting site lie right between two large open fields running north and south. One is east of the roosting site and one is west. Inside the stand of trees is a creek (obstacle).

When I observed the turkeys the previous day, they were on the field to the east.

I'm not sure which field to set-up on opening day. Obviously, my instinct says to set-up on the field to the east because that's where they were observed.

Could they change gears on me and go west?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

They are going to go where they know, and where they feel safe. I would choose the setup based on a few things
1.) Where you have seen them most frequently
2.) Which is closer to food and water
3.) How the hens have been acting. Take these into consideration. If you say you've seen them on the eastern field then set up there early, and you can always move and run and gun later as needed. Just make sure you've got your turkey vest and box call ready. Good luck,
BigBuck95
Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with bigbuck95, look for the hens. Thats where the toms will be. If he doesn't show up in the field you are set up in move and get around them and re-setup. Keep after him with a crow call to make him gobble then you can pinpoint where he is.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Because my hunting location is a 6 hour drive away, I only got to scout for a weekend. I only got to observe them for one day.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by KitsapCaller
Because my hunting location is a 6 hour drive away, I only got to scout for a weekend. I only got to observe them for one day.
One day is good enough you know the birds are there.Turkeys dont only have one roosting site.you'll need to put those birds to bed then you will know where to setup on opening morn.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by K-ZONE
One day is good enough you know the birds are there.Turkeys dont only have one roosting site.you'll need to put those birds to bed then you will know where to setup on opening morn.
Yes, if you can, drive around or take a walk on the property you plan to hunt the night before and see where they are going to roost, then hunt the area you think they will go in the morning after.
Just remember, HENS HENS HENS! Good luck
BigBuck95
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys...I think I will try to quietly slip in at around dusk and sit and listen and only move if I need to in order to pinpoint the roost site.

My experience over the weekend is that there may be two divided roost sites but I'm not sure. I thought I heard gobbling from two separate locations.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by KitsapCaller
Thanks guys...I think I will try to quietly slip in at around dusk and sit and listen and only move if I need to in order to pinpoint the roost site.

My experience over the weekend is that there may be two divided roost sites but I'm not sure. I thought I heard gobbling from two separate locations.
U can listen for flyup and shock them at dark to pinpoint them.Those birds cover some ground as thier feedin roosting in a different spot.As the toms split up from their winter groups and start the new pecking order they become spread all over,the dominant birds will be with the hens.Good luck
Old 03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Three criteria for success.
First is to use the most current information you have scouting.
2nd go directly to your set up point as quietly as you can and avoid being seen.
3rd select a low sheltered open position where the birds can see the decoys if using one without obstructions like a fence in between, and not TOO close to roast.
The rest is up to you. GOOD LUCK...louie
Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

If you can't get more intel the night before, just go to where you saw them last and get some decoys out 30-40 minutes before they can see you, do it quietly. Get set to shoot and wait for them to wake up. I have killed birds many times without even calling, because they see my three hens and jake, and just fly down and run in for a fight. But a little light calling doesn't hurt just to make sure they see your decoys. I've had up to three gobblers launch in my direction before and race each other too. I love to watch them fight, and it gives me time to sort out which bird I want to kill.
Jake is a coward it seems, and always just stands there, so I always have to finish it myself.
You have to be very well hidden though and don't blow your cover, because they will be looking your way, gobbling from the roost and studying those decoys for maybe a half hour before they decide to fly down. And they may come from any corner of the field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.