Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Poachers.....

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunters don't poach. Poachers poach. Make sure to inform non-hunters who tell you a story that begins" I heard a hunter...". Also, hunters don't vandize property, vandals vandalize.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huntnteen, I most def. wouldn't wait to see if they come back. Chnaces are if they feel can get away with it there, they will be back at some point. maybe not this yr, but how about next yr.! I would def. talk to the landowner, and inform him of the problem.
I once had landowner permission to turkey & deer hunt. 1 turkey season I ran into a new hunter that told me he had permission from owner. Next day he had a guy with him, following day he had a different guy with him. I learned he was guiding hunters on that land. I spoke to the owner, and asked him if he was aware of this. He said no, and was very upset this guy was making $ off his land. The owner stopped the guy, and he wasn't allowed back.
Think of it this way, if it was your land wouldn't you want to know what was going on??
Old 03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know where this thread is going but if Huntnteen is from Windsor,Ontario Canada, the hunting season for Wild Turkeys doesn't even start here until the 27th of April,2010.
If he was hunting at time of posting, then he is hunting out of season.
Just can't get too excited on posts like this one.
If you see or witness poaching it is your duty to inform the CO's. I have my cell phone on quick dial for this purpose.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

The problem seems to be that the farmer has nuisance birds and doesn't care who shoots how many or when. That problem exists everywhere. Farmers around here may kill all the nuisance animals they want, as long as they leave them lay where they fall. But they don't have the time or care to do it, so they lease to hunters, hoping they'll wipe out all the animals that they are tired of feeding. Problem is the lease holders want more animals not less. I've nearly lost a lease once because the farmer expected more deer and turkeys killed than were being killed. When I told him the hunters had taken all the legal animals they could, he told me "I need poachers then". The only thing I could do to keep the land was to overrun it with hunters which of coarse would ruin the hunting as well, so I just simply started lying to the guy and telling him we were killing more animals than we really were, and he was happy. If it were truely a nuisance animal problem, the game warden here would just tell the farmer to kill all he wants to and leave them for the buzzards, and as long as people do that, it's ok. Some farmers even pay a bounty I hear.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The reason i cant report it is because i dont know they guys' names. My dad is going to tell the landowner Friday when he sees them.

And I'm in windsor California, season opened last saturday