Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What ammunition do you use? >

What ammunition do you use?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What ammunition do you use?

Old 03-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Federals 3in 5 shot 2oz load
Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hevi-13 2.25 Oz 3.5" #6. The UPS man just brought me some.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Nitro Company 3.5", 2.25 oz triplex load of 4x5x7. Nasty
Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 PM
PHA
Fork Horn

Hevi 13, 3.5", 2-1/4oz #6
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi BB,
This question gets asked a lot. I suggest you search for similar questions, and read some reponses. I'll say this...my first bird was killed with a Win Supreme 2.75" lead #4...and you could not have made him any deader.
If you're gun is older, check to see if you can shoot the newer heavier-than-lead shells before making the investment. The new neck bustin', head vaporizin' loads can be a bit dear. They do work though...man do they work. They are nice, but not necessary. If you can get a lonely longbeard to come inside of 40yds, lead will smoke'em as well as anything else.
As for shot size, many states limit your choices to 4,5 or 6. If in doubt, go with 5 'cause it's in the middle, but don't let it be a deal breaker. Driving all over creation to find a box of turkey loads in a certain shot size is not my thing. Go with what you can get. Remember, when the gun goes Boom!, the birds don't, and won't, care what kind of shell it was.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

I used to use 2 3/4" or 3" 4x6's,(great load),even played around with wingshooting fall birds with BB, (works great) before that #2's, but #2 shot and larger was outlawed in Missouri. I now shoot an 835 tactical turkey gun, 3 1/2, 12 Guage with an overbored 10Guage barrel, and extra full choke, but use 2 3/4 #7 shot. At between 3 and 20 feet it doesn't really matter. Just call them close and kill them with anything that patterns good.